CHAPTER ONE

There I was once again, spending my Friday night at Kasa Nightclub, just a fifteen minute walk away from home. I was drowning my sorrows in some Jack. I wasn't always like that until I ended things with my girlfriend of three years. Sounds cliché but getting drunk made the hurt disappear until the alcohol pulled out of my system.

THREE YEARS AGO

​​​​I drove to my favorite coffee shop on NW 3rd Avenue just on the way to work. That was where I met her. Madison McCarthy. She was a new face that I haven't seen at The Society Café. I waited in the line to be served. After the person in front of me ordered, I was next.

'Good morning sir, what can I get you today?' she asked me with a subtle smile on her face.

'I'll get one cappuccino to go, please.' I smiled at her.

'That will be four dollars and twenty-five cents.' I handed her 10 dollars.

'Keep the change.'

'Well thanks, Mr?'

'Oh, it's just Blake.' I smiled at her and went to sit on one of the sofas while I waited for my order. When my order was ready I picked it up and saw she wrote 'Just Blake' ​​​on my cup. I turned around and smirked at her.

After then, I went there every day to see if I could spot her again but sadly I haven't seen her since; it was moody Judy serving the customers that entire week. But, I was determined to at least get her name. Sadly, I never caught her name on her name badge that she was wearing. How stupid of me. The next week, I glanced through the window and saw her standing at the cash register. I walked in through the door and caught her watching me as I came in. I ordered the usual cappuccino with the Hawthorne Panini to go. I couldn't help myself but stare at her as she walked over to the other barista to give the order. She was beautiful; mesmerizing. I waited on the other end of the counter so other customers could be helped. But, I had my eyes on her. When my order was finished she wrote on my cup 'Just Blake' again. I was surprised that she remembered me. She handed some serviettes along with the Panini. On the top serviette it had her name and cell phone number written across on it with a heart underneath her number.

'Have a good day.' she said smiling,

'Thanks you too, Madison.' I went to work feeling happy-go-lucky that day. When I got home I immediately messaged her. She replied instantly. From then on I knew I found what I was waiting for.

Madison Claire McCarthy.

Two months after, we became closer, a little more than just friends. I took her out on our first date to Mocks Crest Park where we had a romantic picnic. We sat closer to the Willamette River. It was an extraordinary view. It set the whole mood. We sat there the entire day getting to know each other more. That's when we had our first kiss, just as the sun began to set.

I knew it was official from then on.

Five months into the relationship I asked her to move in with me at Fifth Avenue Place. She accepted the offer hastily. Sadly, she was still studying so she only lived here when it was holidays. Nevertheless, we made it work long distance. We would video call every night before 8:00pm. Other than that we were great together; inseparable. I loved every single thing about her. The way she made pancakes in the morning always topping it with syrup and strawberries, the way she smiled causing the dimples to show on her cheeks, the way she danced around the apartment while she was cleaning when she thought I wasn't watching her.

Ah, just the thought brings back good old memories.

Three months later in November, she introduced me to her parents. Now, here's the thing her parents were very over protective of her but they liked me, well mostly her mother, Paula. Her dad, Andrew, was a little too overprotective and difficult to please but I understood; she was the only daughter they had. After meeting her parents it was her turn to meet mine. My parents adored her no doubt about that. They were very happy that I met someone like Madison. My little sister got along well with her too. We ended up spending our first Christmas together at my parent's place in Redmond, Washington.