Dr Banner, Hulk Out ~ 22

They arrive at Tony Stark's lab where the rest of the Bruce Banner and Vison are too waiting. Stark, ever the charismatic leader, directs his attention toward Eva as she enters, a sly grin playing on his lips.

"Well, well, well, look who decided to grace us with her presence," Stark quips, his tone dripping with sarcasm. Eva responds with a nonchalant smile, taking a seat and crossing her legs.

Steve keenly observes the room's dynamics, his gaze darting between Eva and Stark. Locking eyes with Tony, Stark responds with a mere eye roll, tacitly acknowledging that it falls on Rogers to usher her into this space.

A hushed tension envelops the room until Bruce presents a collar-like device, delicately situating it on the glass table at the room's center. Eva discerns a diminutive black box affixed to its side, prompting her eyes to widen. They briefly flicker to Steve before settling into a discernible frown. "And where do you expect that to go on, moi?"

Tony, ever the quick-witted one, responds with a smirk, directing his words to Eva. "Thought that would be obvious, sweetheart. Around your neck."

Once more, she casts an inquisitive gaze towards Steve, her eyes imploring an explanation. However, his eyes betray his own surprise, clearly unprepared for the unexpected imposition of a collar. Fueled by rightful irritation, she emits an incredulous laugh at the absurdity of the situation and shakes her head. Stepping forward, she waves her arms dismissively, declaring, "Non! Je ne suis pas un putain de chien!" Eva's vehement proclamation is aimed solely at Stark, pointedly ignoring the other two architects of this perplexing device.

Vision, sensing the tension, glances awkwardly at Steve, his AI capabilities automatically translating Eva's declaration about not being a dog, sprinkled with additional curse words. Steve, in response, merely shrugs at Vision, signifying his shared surprise. Bruce, however, appears thoroughly bewildered by her outburst, unable to comprehend.

"In English, Eva?" Tony interjects with his trademark casual sarcasm. "I mean, I did catch the word 'dog,' so I'm thrilled to know you're grasping the purpose of this device."

Eva, unable to contain her frustration, impulsively lunges forward, aiming a punch at Tony with little concern for its destination, as long as it connects. Yet, Steve, quick to anticipate her movements, swiftly seizes the small of her wrist, restraining her and silently pleading for restraint towards his complex friend.

Tony maintains his smirk throughout, flinching only once just before Steve intervenes. Unfazed, Bruce, weary of the tension, interjects, "Evangeline." His measured tone captures her attention even as Steve holds her back. "The placement was the most practical, ensuring it won't impede your movements and remains close enough to establish a mental connection." Bruce elucidates the rationale formally, pointedly disregarding Tony's dismissive laughter.

Eva, finally realizing Steve's grip on her, wrenches her hand away with a defiant huff. "I don't have to do any of this, you know? I can just leave you all to it," she reminds them, asserting her autonomy and the power to do as she pleases.

"Yes, Evangeline, we acknowledge that you could, but you won't," Vision interjects, breaking his silence. "Because you're well aware that Ultron is on the brink of seizing control, perhaps within days or even hours." He pauses, allowing his words to resonate in the tense room. Eva's frown wavers at the stark reminder of Ultron's impending threat. "You've held control over most of your life, and now that control is slipping away, frightening you, Evangeline. That's precisely why you're here with us, resisting the urge to walk away."

A heavy silence descends upon the room as Eva absorbs Vision's astute deduction. She's visibly seething with displeasure, yet Bruce seizes the moment to capture her attention. "Eva, it's evident that you currently need our assistance, just as we require yours. The solution? Wear this until we find a permanent resolution to eradicate Ultron, once and for all." His tone remains formal, but there's a touch of understanding in his words.

He extends the collar toward Eva, anticipating her to accept it, yet she hesitates. Noticing her indecision, Steve steps forward, taking the device from Banner.

"Fine," Evangeline eventually sighs, acknowledging the inevitability of the situation. She gazes at Steve, who hesitates momentarily as she waits for him to affix the collar around her neck. "Are you going to put the damn thing on me or not?" she snaps at him, eager to conclude this task and return upstairs.

Eva sweeps her hair aside, granting Steve access to secure the collar around her neck. Carefully, he clasps it at the back, stepping away once the task is complete. Eva, now disgruntled by the unfamiliarity of the device, adjusts it with clear distaste etched on her face.

"So, how do we know if it's going to work?" Steve speaks up, uneasy about watching Eva struggle with the sensation of the collar around her neck.

"It should also repress Eva's mind control... The black box blocks the psychic waves from her," Tony replies absentmindedly, his attention focused on typing away at his computer.

"Evangeline, you should test your ability on one of us to ensure it's working," Vision suggests, and Eva responds with a rare smile, relishing the unusual permission.

"Well, who wants to be the volunteer?" she grins, casting her gaze to each of them, enjoying the nervous glances she receives in return. Bruce eventually rolls his eyes and steps into the middle.

"Okay, Eva. Go ahead," he breathes, giving her the permission to use her powers on him. She steps closer, her smile widening, and locks eyes with Banner.

"Dr. Banner, hulk out," she commands.

"Eva!" Steve panics, rushing between the two, arms outstretched, and forcing Eva behind him, preparing for the Hulk's potential emergence. Tony and Vision, wide-eyed, brace themselves for the impending spectacle. Even Bruce looks over with concern, ready to resist the compulsion. However, nothing happens.

The group collectively sighs in relief, except for Eva, who huffs, disappointed by the loss of her powers—a strangely alien feeling.

"I will take that as the collar is working," Tony utters after a few seconds. Eva pulls at the collar, now despising it even more than before.

"C'est le pire jour de ma vie..." She grumbles, declaring this to be one of the worst days of her life.

The smile that Steve had been suppressing on their way down to the lab finally breaks.

Despite Eva's dissatisfaction, a shared sense of relief washes over the group as they realize the collar has effectively dampened her powers. Tony breaks the tension with his characteristic wit, "Well, it seems the collar has successfully put a leash on our resident mind-controller."

Eva continues to pull at the collar, a visible expression of her disdain for the device. Steve, catching a glimpse of her frustration, approaches cautiously, "I know it's not ideal, but we need to deal with Ultron. This is just a temporary measure."

She shoots him a glare but refrains from vocalizing her displeasure. The room is still tinged with an air of tension when Vision speaks up, breaking the awkward silence, "Now that the immediate concern is addressed, we can focus on developing a permanent solution."

Bruce, ever the voice of reason, chimes in, "Let's get back to work. We need to find a way to destroy Ultron for good." The team nods in agreement, their collective resolve strengthening.

As they return to their tasks, Steve lingers behind for a moment, catching Eva's eye. He offers a reassuring smile and Eva, reasons unbeknownst to her feels compelled to return that said smile as he gestures for her to lead the way, back out of he lab and up to the rest of the compound.