Time to Run ~ 37

Steve strides into the living area, Evangeline trailing closely behind him, their appearances slightly disheveled, evidence of the intense encounter that unfolded in the bedroom mere moments ago. Despite the lingering awkwardness, they both maintain a facade of composure, their focus swiftly returning to the pressing matter of Ultron.

Sam and Scott remain seated at the table, engrossed in their card game, feigning obliviousness to the tension that crackled between Steve and Evangeline moments earlier. However, their astuteness allows them to piece together what transpired between the duo, though they choose to maintain their silence. As Steve approaches, they offer him a quizzical glance, observing his movements as he strides past them to retrieve his jacket from where it lies discarded on the back of a dining chair.

"Hey, what's going on?" Sam inquires, setting aside his hand of cards, recognizing that the game has reached its conclusion.

Steve briskly continues his circuit around the room, gathering various items such as his car keys, his sense of urgency palpable. "Cell reception's shot in this area; I can't reach Stark," he explains, recounting his failed attempts to contact their teammate before he and Eva got sidetracked. "I'm rounding up the rest of the team," he announces with an air of nonchalance, while Eva lingers in the doorway connecting the living area to the stairs leading upstairs.

Sam and Scott both rise from their seats, the scraping of their chairs against the wooden floor punctuating the gravity of Steve's words. Their gazes dart between each other and Eva, who merely offers a noncommittal shrug, her thoughts back in the bedroom, before settling back on Steve.

"Is Ultron here?" Scott queries, his confusion evident as he tries to make sense of Steve's unwavering determination.

"No, but he will be," Rogers states simply, slipping his arms into his jacket and giving it a decisive shake. "We're putting an end to this tonight," his words carry an unmistakable sense of finality.

As the front door creaks open, Bucky walks slowly into the room, his expression inscrutable, though his eyes immediately find Eva's, holding a silent exchange. She remains silent, her brow furrowing in curiosity at his stoic demeanor as he finally breaks eye contact, coming to a stop as Steve heads for the exit. "Where are you going?" Bucky's voice betrays a hint of concern, his frown deepening as he turns to follow Steve's path.

"Back to the compound," Steve responds, his voice firm yet tinged with determination. Once more, Bucky's gaze flits towards Evangeline, seeking reassurance in her expression. "I'll return with the quinjet and the team," Rogers adds, his words carrying the weight of responsibility, compelling Bucky to step aside with a quick nod, now fully comprehending the seriousness of the situation.

Wanda emerges at the top of the stairs, her descent swift and purposeful as she catches snippets of Steve's dialogue. "I'm coming with you," she declares, her resolve evident in her tone, as she joins their mission without hesitation.

Eva glances up as Wanda descends, a flicker of curiosity dancing in her eyes. Steve merely shrugs in response, acknowledging the inevitability of arguing. With determined strides, Wanda moves past them all, her path leading her directly outside to the awaiting car, eliciting exchanged glances among the group.

Steve's gaze sweeps over the assembled team, his silent orders clear, before settling on Eva. As he approaches her, his expression softens, a silent reassurance conveyed in his eyes. "Stay inside," he instructs, his command directed to all, though his attention remains focused solely on the mind manipulator.