A Gift From Stark ~ 35

Two hours have slipped away since breakfast and Evangeline finds herself anchored to her seat, a silent sentinel of confinement, while Scott assumes the role of vigilant guardian, his watchful gaze never wavering from her.

Outside, Steve and Bucky stand sentinel, their unwavering vigilance a testament to the gravity of the situation. They stand ready to repel any potential intrusion, their senses alert to the slightest hint of danger. Meanwhile, they anxiously await the arrival of reinforcements, their hopes pinned on the imminent aid promised by Steve's call to Tony.

"I don't need a babysitter, Scott," Eva remarks, breaking the oppressive silence that hangs heavily in the room. She directs a disapproving frown towards him, her legs intertwining beneath her for added comfort upon the plush armchair.

"I know. I'm not here to watch you. I'm here to watch out for you," Scott responds calmly, reclining in his own seat opposite hers. Despite the disapproving glare Eva casts his way, he remains resolute. "If you are able to wield your powers again, it could mean Ultron has a chance infiltrate your mind. Isn't that what happened before?"

"But I can't use them," Eva argues, her eyes rolling with frustration. "We just tried. Whatever happened must have been a glitch," she adds, punctuating her statement with a nonchalant shrug as she gestures toward the device.

"If all it took was a glitch for you to see Ultron in your mind, then it's enough for us to take precautions, Eva," Scott reasons in a hushed tone, his voice laced with concern.

Her glare softens, replaced by a contemplative expression as she chews on her lower lip. With her chin cradled in her palm, Eva continues to fix her gaze on Scott, but remains silent, the weight of his words settling heavily upon her.

Wanda's swift descent down the stairs captures the duo's attention. "Sam's just arrived," she announces briskly, striding past Eva and Scott towards the door, eliciting furrowed brows in her direction.

Scott's gaze flickers between the door and Evangeline. "Promise you'll stay here?" he implores, leaning forward in his chair, his resolve unyielding until he receives her assurance.

Once more, Eva rolls her eyes, her head still cradled in her hand. "Comme vous voulez..." she drawls, prompting a quizzical raise of Scott's brow.

"I'll take that as a yes," Scott shrugs, straightening up before briefly squeezing her shoulder in reassurance as he passes by, heading towards the door to greet Sam.

The door swings open just as Scott strides towards it, and Bucky enters, exchanging a curt nod with Scott before they diverge paths. Bucky makes his way to the living area, and Eva's gaze follows him to the vacant chair Scott had occupied moments before. Her expression remains inscrutable, bordering on boredom, as Bucky settles into the seat. Their eyes lock in an unspoken exchange, Eva eventually furrowing her brow, her chin still cradled in her hand, while Bucky meets her gaze with his own unreadable expression.

"You're not going to greet Sam?" Eva interjects, unable to endure the weight of the silence any longer. Bucky shrugs indifferently, sinking back into the chair.

"I see him enough, and it's not like he's going anywhere now," Bucky offers in his characteristic monotone, prompting only a huffed breath of response from Eva before she lapses into silence once more.

The seconds stretch into a silent standoff, each refusing to yield to the other's gaze. Eva's features betray a hint of frustration, her eyes darting between Bucky's inscrutable expression and the doorway, perhaps hoping for a distraction. Bucky, however, remains unmoved, his demeanor stoic as he continues to regard Eva with an intensity that borders on unsettling.