The Reaping

Julia Reed had a gift. Or at least she had always been told that. From a young age she showed exceptional skill with a rather unusual weapon for someone in district 4, a Sword.
       She first started training at the academy at 10, as was customary for the more well off citizens of 4, and was a standout student. She was quick and decently strong, and could fight with a variety of weapons. Physically she was very intimidating, she was almost 6 feet tall and had a more muscular build than most. With long dark brown hair that contrasted her pale skin and bright blue eyes, she couldn't help but stand out. She had all the makings of a great victor but struggled with weapons. She could shoot the occasional target with a bow, she was decent with knives, and could hold her own with a spear, but when Julia Reed had a sword it was like nothing else.
Her talents were noticed, and everyone at the academy encouraged her to volunteer for the 69th hunger games. She would be 16, a respectable age to volunteer at, and her training would be mostly done. Julia agreed with them. To her there was nothing greater than bringing pride to her district. Being the youngest of 5, born to parents who often forgot her, Julia had always felt invisible. Boys barely looked at her, girls at school never talked to her, adults didn't acknowledge her, she wasn't particularly smart, or funny or interesting. Most thought of her as a potential great victor, but district 4 had many great tributes and few victors. But in her heart she knew that this was it, to show people she was there and she refused to be overlooked. After all her sole purpose was to win.

Julia's POV

Beams of light come creeping into my room as I slowly wake. I pull myself out of bed because today is not the day to be late. It's the day of the reaping, 2 names will be pulled and usually 2 academy children will volunteer in their place. Honestly, I've never worried about my name being picked, I take comfort knowing someone will volunteer. Someone always does. The academy kids in 4 take great pride in representing their district. We train year round for it, the games consume us from 10-18. The reaping is bittersweet, because even the strongest among us usually die, but everything thinks they are the exception. I suppose I think I'm the exception but really most tributes die avoidable deaths that I could figure out. I'm skilled in combat, I know a good amount about nature and I'm trained to kill. Maybe I'm cocky but oh well.
We have not had a victor in 4 years. I remember the last one vividly Finnick Odair. The youngest ever victor, trained at the academy and cocky enough to volunteer at 14. I was only 12 at the time but his victory was an inspiration to me and all the other kids. Now he's living the good life, parties, fashion, meeting famous people and more money than I could imagine. Plus a nice house in victors village overlooking the beach. Yes please.
I do two Dutch braids into a ponytail, and carefully pull out two front strands. I want to look innocent and harmless but also lethal. My mother walks "this is the first time the capital will see you, make a good impression and for the love of god smile when you're up there". To my mother I think there would be nothing worse than me looking "unpresentable" on that stage. She couldn't care less that I'm going to a fight for the death, my victory will give her a nice new house, plenty of money and boost her social standings, or my death will score major sympathy points. I check in on my older sister Mira. I can tell she's been crying. "You know I'll be fine" I whisper to her. My attempts at consolation are in vain as she erupts into sobs, "I cannot believe you are doing this. Julia how can you kill another human?" She says through tears. "Mira you can't think of it like that, just think of our house in victors village, waking up to the most gorgeous sunrises. Plus we will be the most popular ladies in all of 4" Mira is not amused by my attempts but gives up trying to convince me, knowing that I'll never give in. "If you die in that arena I'm going to kill you" she says with a soft smile, and I slip out to finish getting ready.
I put on a beautiful blue dress my mother picked out. I like it enough and I think it will make me stand out to the capital as someone to sponsor. I go through all the motions as I have the past few years, check in, stand with my age group. I look back and see Mira tears streaming down her face, but all I can think is how embarrassed mother must feel. Our escort Pricilla gives the same speech as all the other years and there's butterflies in my stomach. I don't know if I feel excitement or dread. She pulls a paper out of the bowl but before she can read it. I stand up and state in my best capital voice "I volunteer as tribute".
As I'm escorted to the stage I can't help but feel a twinge of regret. I look into the crowd and see Mira she's being restrained by one of my peers. I start to feel unsettled like I made a mistake. Our other siblings are out of the house. Father's barely around and mother is a terror, who will keep her company? Who will watch the sunrise with her? Although she's my older sister I feel responsible for her. But there's cameras on me so I stand up straight smile and wave to the cameras.
Pricilla pulls out a name from the boys bowl but there is a volunteer. Caspian, a tall boy with dirty blonde curls, he's from the academy I think about 18. I don't know much else about him but he seems nice. Definently will be a useful ally.
I grab his hand and we hold them up with our best fake capital smiles plastered on our faces. I wonder if he too is praying they can't see the fear in our eyes?