A Familiar Face

The peacekeepers escort Caspian and I onto the train. It's very nice on the inside and furnished wonderfully. It gets me more excited to see the capital. An old woman sits at a table with a soft smile on her face. Mags, she won her games many years ago and is the first and only living female victor from 4. The most recent male and female victors mentor the tributes, even when Mags didn't have to mentor she volunteered to do so. I've always admired her, she seems to genuinely care for the tributes, and from what I've heard has a wealth of valuable knowledge.
     I sit down in front of the old victor. It feels weird sitting here in front of such a legend. I introduce myself "I'm Julia Reed, nice to meet you", she shakes my outstretched hands. "Mags Flanagan at your service". I smile, she has a very friendly demeanor and I feel at ease around her. She walks me through the schedule. We are to watch the recap of the readings, we will eat dinner together with Pricilla, Caspian and his mentor, Mags and I will discuss strategy and my skills, then it's time for bed. Mags warns me not to get caught up in the extravagance and excitement of it all and to focus on preparing for the games.
     The reapings are staggered throughout the day, so the capital citizens can watch in real time. In the districts between getting ready for and going to the reapings there isn't much time to catch the earlier ceremonies. Afterwards some watch the remaining reapings, but most feast and celebrate another year of not being chosen.
     From district one there are two volunteers, the boy is large and intimidating but the girl looks rather scrawny. The volunteers from 2 are both decent prospects, and the kids from 3 look like they've never seen the sun. My reaping comes up,  I'm happy with the way I look, intimidating, I think I would consider myself a potential threat.
There's not much noticeable from the rest. A young boy from 8 catches my eye, as well as the girl from 12. Both are so young,  neither can be older than 13. The girl from 7 is sobbing on the stage and the boy from 9 looks like he's about to. The boy from 10 looks strong, a potential contender.
    "I like what I've seen, easy competition this year" I say cockily. "I wouldn't be so sure" Mags says, "Never underestimate a tribute". She's right, a few years back a younger boy acted like he had no idea what he was doing, cried on the stage, got a training score of 2 and cried during his interview. He turned out to be pretty good with a spear and almost won.
Pricilla waltzes into the room and says perkily in her fake capital voice "Dinner is served in the dining car". Mags and I enter into the room and see a feast of the finest food in all of Panem. I've never seen this much food in my life. I've mostly eaten fish for all my meals so I could certainly get used to this. I fix myself a large plate, I want to try all of it. Pricilla cheerfully warns "Make sure you save room for dessert". The thought of the sweets that they must have is enough to make a smile break out on my face.
"It never gets old seeing how excited you kids get over this meal" Mags says with a laugh "just you wait for the capital. Pricilla runs off to find Caspian. I haven't seen him since we boarded the train. Mags thinks I should get close to him, he would make a great ally in the arena. He's strong and seems smart, plus I've heard kind things about him. Could be nice to have someone with me through all this. I know I shouldn't get too close though, after all there's no friends in the games.
Just on cue Caspian walks in. He looks someone disheveled, his dirty blonde curls a mess. I greet him and show him the food "look at all of this it's pretty nice huh?" He gives me a slight smile "definitely beats fish". I introduce him to Mags and they shake hands. "Where's Finnick?" Mags asks.
Finnick
Finnick Odair
I don't know why the mention of his voice shocked me, obviously he would be Caspian mentor, and on the train. He's the capital darling, Beloved by just about every women district or capital (one of the few things they have in common). He spends lots of time in the capital and doesn't seem to care much for 4 anymore. I think he has a bit of a superiority complex, and is too good to slum it in the districts. Mira has a huge crush on him, they were in the same year at the academy and I remember her bawling her eyes out when he volunteered. I see him at the reeping ceremony every year standing with all the other victors, he has this fake smirk on his face knowing he's driving all the girls nuts.
"He's in his sleeping quarters getting ready" Caspian answers seemingly annoyed his mentor isn't as attentive. Mags shoots him a sympathetic glance before getting up to go find Finnick. "Apparently they are super close, he's like her son" Caspian says, "hopefully she can make him help me because he doesn't seem to like me at all". "What do you mean?" I ask confused why a mentor would be rude to their tribute. "He's been pretty distant so far and is completely in his own world". "No wonder we haven't had a victor in 4 years" I say under my breath. "Well we can share Mags she seems to be a pretty great mentor" I say with a smile.
We finish our meals and decide to wait before a bit before dessert. Then a very peeved Mags walk in turning behind her and half-yell half-whisper "this is your job and you will do it, remember when you were in their place"
Then he walks in, although he's pouting like a child it's impossible not to be enthralled by his beauty. He's tall, at least half a foot taller than me, his blonde hair contrasts his tan skin and his bright sea green eyes shine. He's even better in person close up. As much as I don't like him I must admit he is a gorgeous man.
Mags comes over and sits down next to me. She whispers angrily "for gods sake don't stare". I quickly realize my face is blank and I've been staring uncomfortably long. He sits down next to Caspian and I reach out my hand, he shakes it and mutters "Finnick Odair pleased to meet you" I smile a fake smile (I've been practicing for my interview) and respond "Julia Reed, nice to meet you too". He fixes himself a plate of the cold leftovers of our feast and sits down eating. He could care less about me or Caspian and it's becoming increasingly annoying.
I decide to speak up "So how about we talk strategy". Mags nods her head in agreement. Caspian mouths thank you. Finnick looks up from his plate and says very cockily "look good to the capital, kill anyone you can, pray for sponsors and maybe you will make it out". Mags kicks him under the table. "I will have you know Finn, this years tributes are different" she says through clenched teeth. "Caspian is very strong from what I've heard and is not one to be messed with in the arena, and Julia is a prodigy at the academy and very skilled with a sword." Finnick doesn't even look up from his meal.
Mags, Caspian and I spend the rest of the night coming up with strategies and brainstorming ideas of potential arenas. After one crazy day I'm happy to finally go to sleep.