Visits

The justice building room is cold. Air conditioning is rare in districts and it does offer some much needed relief from the heat of 4, but the unnatural breeze is a bit unsettling.
     Mira is my first visitor, shes stopped crying and looks somewhat presentable, "I can't believe you actually did it" she whisper. I can't look her in the eyes. I don't feel guilt for volunteering or for the fact I'm leaving her. I think I just feel sorry that she will have to watch me kill other children. Although I'm sure of myself there's a nagging feeling that I've made a mistake, I should have waited another year, trained more, and come in at 18. But I know I can't think that way, I know my goal and I will reach it. I refuse to let her see my uncertainty, "You knew I was never one to back down from a challenge" I say with a slight smirk.
     "Julia you have to promise me one thing" she says serious as ever. "Anything" I respond, reaching for her hand across the table. "Do what you have to do to come back, to me you're just my baby sister. But, I know you, I've seen your training. You're one of the strongest tributes to come out of 4". Our eyes finally meet and I respond "I will do whatever it takes for us to get that house, to watch the sunset together every morning, and to see you again".
    Mira breaks down yet again. She's known this was coming but she's been in denial for a while. I remind her of the sunrise, how she will paint on the back porch, and I'll read in the hammock. How happy we will be. A peacekeeper comes in and informs us our time is done.  I leap up from the table and as we hug she whispers "I love you". Then the peacekeeper separates us. I know it's not goodbye but I cant shake the fact that it could be the last time I see her, smell the coconut soap she claims is her signature scent, see the layers of paint under her fingernails, feel the warm embrace of her hug. But this is no way to think.
     I am visited by my mother who is giddy with excitement over the fabulous clothes I will wear in the capital she tells me how gorgeous I'll look all dressed up in the capital attire. I can barely get a word in as she blabbers about how high-tech and fancy the capital is, how the food will be marvelous and how much fun I will have. I admire her approach, I think she truly feels joy that I will experience the life of a capital citizen even if it is short lived. I can't help but feel a sense of excitement, I've been practicing my interview with Caesar in the mirror since I was 11, I've dreamed of how my stylist would craft something perfect for me and how I would finally feel beautiful.  This goodbye is such stark contrast to Mira's, as I hug my mother I feel energized and excited about what lies ahead.
    My father visits and he informs me of how proud he is. How wonderful it would be to have a victor in the family. He runs a fishing business and works long hard hours, I hardly see him, yet I yearn for his approval. His goodbye is bittersweet, but I know I will make him proud.
     The rest of my siblings enter to say goodbye. My oldest brother reef is 10 years older than me, we barely interact but I hear a tinge of sadness in his voice as he says his goodbye. I remember Mira telling me that he lost his best friend in the games, he was a standout tribute favored to win yet he was brutally murdered by a boy from district 1. She said he wasn't the same after that. My other older brother Knox is quiet, he's always been very overprotective of me. It's tough for him to see his baby sister as a potential killer, but I think he feels a sense of pride at the potential for a victor in the family. The twins Pearl and Mary sit together bubbly yapping about the family interview if I make it to the final 8. I roll my eyes and smirk at Knox, he shakes his head in annoyance with them. I hug Reef goodbye first and he whisper to me "You can do this" with a slight smile, but his eyes don't lie he is nervous. I say my goodbye to the twins who seem somewhat sad to see me go. I hug Knox, and I never want to let go. He's been a father figure to me my whole life and I'll miss him terribly. He pulls away and places something in my hand. I look up confused "it's a clip, it will keep your hair in place", I'm shocked by the beauty of it, it's silver with pearls, and has to have cost him a fortune. I lean in for another hug and he whispers in my ear "look very carefully at it, it may come to be useful". I pull away and smile up at him, this is not a goodbye.