ii. the story of the stolen mailbox

rosalind believed the only thing you needed, despite a charming smile, was a really good pair of heels and although the weather called for warm boots and chunky socks, she still wore her best pair of heels with the first pair of socks she could ge...

rosalind believed the only thing you needed, despite a charming smile, was a really good pair of heels and although the weather called for warm boots and chunky socks, she still wore her best pair of heels with the first pair of socks she could get her hands on. annabeth, commonly known by friends as anna, was the complete opposite. she just wanted to be comfortable which is why she was perfectly warm when they got out of the car, her puffy coat keeping her safe from the cold while rosalind shook like a dog. annabeth turned to her, giving her that look that said i told you so without her actually having to say the words. the two women looked at one another one more time after they took in the larger than life building ahead of them.

"this feels wrong, like when you go to the store and leave without buying something, kind of wrong." anna said as they approached the building with caution. "it's fine, jj told someone we were coming." getting into the building was easier than they expected and when they got onto the elevator, rosalind hit the button for the sixth floor. "now we can tell people we've been in the fbi headquarters." rosalind whispered to her friend, unable to hide the smile on her face. she was always extra happy when she knew she would be able to see her sister because her job had kept her so busy that rosalind barely ever saw her. "knowing us, they'd probably think we did something." rosalind scoffed, "please, we are not cool enough for the fbi to want to interrogate us." the two girls led the most normal, average lives you could possibly think of. of course they could do a lot of reckless things in their free time but they would never do anything so sinister that the fbi would want to ask them questions about it.

"not true." her friend started as they reached the fourth floor, the door opening as someone climbed into the elevator. "you did steal that mailbox once." annabeth leaned over to whisper, earning herself a look of suspicion from the agent that climbed aboard the elevator with them. "i was sixteen, that was a life time ago." rosalind defended her actions to the man she didn't even know and he just gave her a nod, getting off on the fifth floor. "i regret telling you that story." she chuckled as the elevator eventually stopped on the sixth floor. rosalind climbed out first, dragging her friend with her. jj saw them before they saw her.

the older jareau sister had been patiently waiting for rosalind among her colleagues who were all excited to meet the girl jj had told them a dozen stories about. "roz!" jj couldn't contain herself, running into her little sister's arm as the girl catches her, nearly falling over in the process. "jen." rosalind was the only person who called jj that, it was her nickname for her older sister ever since she could speak. she loved jj from the moment she opened her eyes and saw a four year old jj holding onto her as if her life depended on her. jj was the first person she loved and deep down rosalind knew when she closed her eyes for the last time, jj would be the last person she would love. "you must be the beautiful annabeth chase." jj pulled away from the hug first, her arm still around her sister's waist as the taller girl rests her head on her big's sister's. "anna, and you are jj. ive heard a lot about you from this one." anna gave her friend a smile, the girl was beaming to be around family.

"i can say the same thing about you."

"all good things i hope." anna chuckled and jj turned back to her sister. "after lunch we have to stop by at your apartment so i can see andy, ive missed him." jj loved being an aunt, ever since andrew was born, his aunt would spoil him rotten. if rosalind didn't know any better, she'd think jj liked her son more than her."of course, can we go to lunch right now? because im starving." rosalind's stomach let out a demonic growl as she tried to smile away the pain growing in her belly, despite being a chef, she rarely ever cooked for herself. anna would do all the cooking at home, it was her love language, cooking for other people. "actually can we make this a group thing, the team really needs a pick up after the night we've had." jj smiled, looking over her shoulder where the team were all looking at the three of them, some of them talking to one another, some just lost in their own minds. "of course, id love to meet your friends." rosalind waved, a blonde girl and a boy with long, shoulder length hair waved back. "im scared of people." anna whispered to her friend when jj went to retrieve her team. "they'll like you, anna." rosalind grabbed a hold of her friend's hand. "it's very hard not to like you."

"you must be the sister, im agent derek morgan." her attention is drawn from her friend when the man in front of her extends his hand out to her. she beat him to it, pulling him in for a hug but he didn't take even a second to hug her back. "rosalind, anna." she pointed at herself than at her friend who shook the man's hand. the blonde woman who waved at them, hugged rosalind second, moving onto anna. "hi, im penelope garcia, and you are the mailbox thief." she turned her attention to rosalind who stared at her in disbelief. "i was sixteen." she has been defending herself since it happened. "why would you steal a mailbox? was there mail inside?" the man with the long hair asked, packing a chess board in his bag as anna watched. she was a chess addict and rosalind knew that.

"no mail and i did it because-" rosalind paused, running a hand over her hair. "because you wanted attention from your parents." a new voice speaks up as rosalind locks eyes with a man with coal black hair and brooding dark eyes, the eyes of someone who had seen the world without any filter, who saw the kind of chaos that rosalind could only dream off. "exactly." she said, she had never admitted it before.

"that's agent aaron hotchner, im elle." the woman beside agent hotch spoke, "that's dr spencer reid, and agent gideon." rosalind and anna shook their hands, anna's hand seemed to linger onto the doctor's, their eye contact so intense thay rosalind feels like she's interrupting something by just being so close to them. "you play chess?" he asked and she nodded, not yet letting go of his hand, he must've seen her watching him. "we can play if you'd like, my only real competition has been her ex." anna looked over at rosalind before she looked back at spencer. "okay, nerds." derek spoke up, "you can do whatever that is at the restaurant. im gonna die if i don't see a cheeseburger right now."

"amen to that." rosalind smiled, her body attached to her sister's once more as they made their way to the elevator. "now," penelope turned over to rosalind who was holding her sister so close that she could steal some of her warmth. "about that stolen mailbox."