v. the marvelous ms jareau

rosalind walked out of the elevator and into the bau headquarters, the place felt nearly deserted

rosalind walked out of the elevator and into the bau headquarters, the place felt nearly deserted. she didn't think anyone was there until she caught a glimpse of spencer sitting at his desk, playing a game of chess against himself. "who's winning?" she approached him as he spun around on his chair, slightly surprised to see the blonde and how put together she was at six in the morning, especially since last time he saw her, she was telling him about how to make beer at home while he dropped her and anna off. "not sure yet." he replied, looking at the woman in the perfect pink blazer as she gave him a curt nod, "is my sister here yet?" she asked and he shook his head, "they're not here yet, just me and agent gideon." he explained as she watched her pull out a chair, sitting down across from him. "mind if i wait?" he nodded and rearranged the pieces on the chess board. "not at all, we can play a game if you're up for it." he watched as her face twisted and she shook her head. "im not as good as anna so you won't have much competition." he didn't mind, he told her he could teach her a few moves if she wanted and she had nothing else to do so she agreed.

they were half way through their game, he was trying his best to help her but even then she seemed to pull on the shortest straw. chess was definitely not her thing. their game is interrupted by the sound of the elevator when jj and elle walk out, she gets up, flattening out her pink skirt with the palm of her hand. "we're not done yet." spencer spoke and she promised him they would play another game soon and even told him she would practice in between now and then so the game won't be as easy on him next time. "if i didn't know any better, id say you were stalking me." jj joked as she approached her sister, elle following short after her, looking the younger blonde up and down. "i am, i was sleeping under your bed last night." rosalind pulled her sister into a tight embrace, as if scared to let her go again. "you look good in pink." elle suddenly spoke, making rosalind's cheeks turn nearly the same shade as her blazer. "you look good in green." she gave the woman as smile as the elevator opened again, two men spilling out of it, agent hotch and agent morgan.

"well, well, well, if it isn't the marvelous ms jareau." derek morgan gave her a slight smirk as he and hotch approached. she laughed it off, "good morning agents." rosalind pushed a streak blonde hair behind her ear when she spoke. suddenly feeling the need to better her appearance. "to who do we owe this pleasure?" hotch barely looked at her when he spoke, eyes darting away when they met his. "my roommate, anna." she replied honestly, pulling her sister close to her as jj nestled her head on the blonde's shoulder, they were strangely the same height despite the four year age difference. jj had to be the one to catch up, by the age of fourteen, rosalind was already five foot seven while jj was still five foot and four inches, it took her a few years to catch up. "she wanted me to invite you guys out tomorrow, we're having a picnic." it wasn't uncommon for the group to go out together, whether it was on picnics to have some peace and quiet or going to a club to get the complete opposite.

"a picnic? like going to a park and eating berries on a towel?" elle scrunched up her nose, "a towel? probably. berries? not likely, id hope three chefs could think of something better." rosalind smiled, when it came to food and snacks, none of them held back. every social event seemed to have been treated like a christmas or a birthday, despite cooking at their jobs, all three women seemed to have a passion for it. "for my nineteenth birthday, rosalind made a feast." jj smiled at the memory, "our entire school was there and by then she was just fourteen." rosalind always loved making food and baking for other people, she didn't necessarily like cooking for herself. as a kid, rosalind would go days without eating, she didn't get hungry easily, said it was a side effect of being around too much food.

"if she did that at fourteen, ill be there." elle gave rosalind a guarantee and the rest agreed to join as well, all but agent hotchner who stayed silent throughout the entire interaction. the young blonde was overjoyed that the others were joining though, unlike anna, she and enya were people who loved to be surrounded by others but what they all had in common was their love for random activities and pastimes and they all had a knack for planning. anna was the one who planned their picnics, their game nights and even fondue nights while rosalind planned days to go rollerblading and surfing while enya and percy made sure they went to the best clubs and bars in the city. they all seemed to have their own area of expertises. "ill tell anna but i should head out, you probably have work to do." the blonde gave her sister one last tight squeeze before heading for the elevator as agent hotch told her he'd walk her there. she said he didn't need to but he insisted.

"ms jareau, as much as i appreciate the invitation-" he started but she was already talking, "you'll be busy?" she asked and his face was clear of any emotion. he never really showed any emotion in the few days she's known him, she's seen him smile a couple of times but that's when she got lucky. she wanted to make him smile more, his smile made her feel like the summer sun was touching her skin, heating her up from the inside. "my wife, she's very pregnant and id like to be there for her as much as i possibly can." so he was a man that loved his family, he had values, he was raised right but rosalind knew he couldn't always be there for his family the way jj could rarely be there for her family. with their job, finding even five minutes to be free of work meant you had to spend every second of that time with the people you loved.

"she can join, tell me her cravings and ill make sure to pack something pleasant for her to snack on." as she spoke the older man paused as if her question stumped him. so he wasn't even home enough to know that. "or you can ask her and text me." rosalind pulled the pen from his blazer pocket, it was a slick black pen, the kind of pens that very professional people like him carried around at all times. "uh, do you have a piece of paper?" he shook his head, "your phone?" she asked and he shook his head again, "died ten minutes ago and there's no room on the case this time." he referred to the last time when she wrote her address down on it when she was drunk. "well, then can i write it down on here?" she tugged at his sleeve and looked down at her like she had to be kidding but he allowed it as she started writing her number down on the sleeve of his shirt with her full name and a little heart on the end of it. he furrowed his brows and she told him to text her, before he could say anything she was out of the elevator.

for a moment he just looked at the number written upside down on his sleeve, he'd have to take off his shirt to be able to read it. it wasn't until he reached the board room where the rest of his team were ready to start the meeting that he realised ms jareau had stolen his pen.