𝟬𝟭𝟳. the godswood

CHAPTER SEVENTEENThe Godswood

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
The Godswood

              WHILE EVERYONE was getting used to being back in King's Landing, for the time being, Rhaenyra made it a priority to talk to Rhaenys before the words from Vaemond were spoken before the Queen and the King's Hand int the Great Hall.

              They stood in front of the Godswood, but when Laenor was brought up by his mother, Rhaenyra knew she would have to make Rhaenys side with her in a different way if she wanted Jacaerys to keep his claim to Driftmark.

              "I'll make you an offer."

              Rhaenys faced Rhaenyra again, waiting to hear the offer what she had to say.

              "Back Jace's claim, and let us betroth Laena's daughter to my son. Even if in Driftmark, Jace and Dany will still be in the line of succession for the throne, as you well know." Rhaenyra referred to how her only daughter was yet to be betrothed and married and then soon to have her own heir. "And Baela will soon rule in Driftmark after the seat passes to her and Lucerys' children in time."

              "A generous offer." Princess Rhaenys paused, recalling her son's offer to her daughter from Pentos that their children shall be betrothed. "Or a desperate one."

              Rhaenyra was quick to shoot back. "What does it matter?"

              Rhaenys then let out a soft and quiet chuckle but there was no humor behind it. "You are right in this, at least." She looked up at the tree and its beautiful, bright red leaves. "It does not matter."

              Rhaenyra watched her father's cousin move closer to her, she slightly shifted in her stance as Rhaenys spoke again. "You can bargain with me all you like. Bring my granddaughter with you to soften my resolve." Rhaenyra listened, but she still titled her head to the side in the slightest. "But tomorrow, the Hightower's land their first blow. They force you to your knees . . . and I must stand alone."

              Nothing else was said to Princess Rhaenyra. She was left in front of the Godswood tree with only her thoughts and Rhaenys' words.

              The King's eldest child wasn't given an answer to the offer she made, all she could do was wait.

              IT WAS only hours after Rhaenyra's offer to Rhaenys in the Godswood when Saera found herself wandering the yards of the Red Keep. Her friend and handmaiden, Adelaide, walked beside her for company.