Walking in the rain

I was sitting in one of the hospital chairs, reading to the children a book about a boy who never wanted to grow up like Peter Pan. They love it as they sit there listening to the words like it isn't going away, which makes me smile because it keeps my mind off a specific doctor who is so attractive, but it would have been good if he didn't look at me with hatred which is most of the time which makes me look over at the small boy near the window. He notices me staring at him because he then turns to me with emerald green eyes, and then he shakes his head and turns his head back to the window; I wonder what he is looking at, maybe the trees or the birds or something that I can't put my finger on, I sigh and continue to read the story to the other children sitting around me.

After the story, a knock on the door frame is light. Still, everyone hears it, "story finished." I listen to a voice like honey enter my ears, which has me look at my fellow doctor, who doesn't make sense to me for some reason, "Yes, it was quite enjoyable, right, everyone?" Everyone then yells yes. Still, Lucy starts to cough, which makes me jump out of the chair. bending down to her while she is coughing uncontrollably, "Lucy, be careful not to yell too much." she nods, and I take her hand, leading her to her bed, where she lays down to calm down from the yelling too loudly. I look over at Thomas, the boy sitting in the corner near the window, which makes me sad because I can never reach that small child, and it is my third day here. Then, someone coughs, making me look up to see Doctor Cullen behind me.

Why is he still here, which has me frowning at what he wants, "Are you unwell, Doctor Cullen?" I look into his golden eyes while asking the question as he looks at me, "I am quite alright, Doctor Swan", he answers me with a frown coming onto his perfect features, which makes me look away from him. He is so standoffish towards me, maybe because I am new and I don't understand him or any of the doctors to that point, but he doesn't have to put it out like I am under him all the danm time. "Doctor Swan,"  a small girl with cancer, speaks up. At the same time, I look at her bending down to the child with my mind on her, not the doctor behind me, "what is it, sweetheart?" she looks into my eyes, kindly watching her when I ask her what the matter is, "can you read another story?" she asks me sweetly which makes my heart melt on her asking for something simple. Still, lunch will be in any moment, "I am sorry, sweetie, but it is near lunchtime," I tell the child when the lunch trolley then enters with the kids' food on it, which makes the kids scramble to their beds to feed, which has me to stand up brush some brown hair away from my eyes as I breathe out not noticing that Cullen had already left without a word yet again.

In the middle of the day, I am talking with Susan, the front desk lady who has become one of my friends here. She is kind and funny, which is what I need when I am here, "Abigail, do you want to go out this weekend?" she asks me with her green eyes looking into my chocolate, and the specific question, "What would we be doing, Susan?" I answer her with a question, wanting to know so badly, "Well, we could get you a boyfriend at a club, go shopping or go for a hike." She lists off some ideas, which makes me giggle because she is so fun to be around. Her thoughts always make me smile at what she has planned, but I don't need a boyfriend at this time, "ok, but no clubbing or shopping because I hate them both", she points out, which makes me roll my eyes at the action. She is just like a child. Our fun is then disturbed by a certain someone, "Aren't you two supposed to be working?" I hear Doctor Cullen say, which makes me grab the folder that was resting under my hand on the counter, scrying away to the children's section, which makes me sigh that I got away on time because I would not like to be on the bad side of Cullen, he is scary sometimes. Bella drove herself to school because she has a car now, well, more likely a truck, so I had to stay longer today at the hospital that night. I am tucking the children in. I reach Thomas's bed and tuck him in; he is reading the book that I was reading today, Peter Pan, "Like the book." he looks at me when I talk to him as he smiles a little. My question, "It is an excellent book?" he answers, which makes me smile at him because he is still a child within, even if he has his moments. Walking the halls at night is lovely and peaceful, as I sigh.

Stopping by a window, I look at the sunset, a mixture of oranges, reds and yellows. It makes me watch it smile because it is quite a beautiful sight. After all, with all of the clouds in the day, which are depressing, this colour at the end of the day livens my mood up. When I get to my car, there are none around except Doctor Cullen's, which means he is staying again tonight, which makes me sigh, thinking, does he ever sleep, or is he someone who lacks that as well? I get into my car and try to start it up, but it is stubborn, which makes me hit the steering wheel with hatred against the stupid thing because when I want it to start, it doesn't go. The engine then starts to smoke, which makes me jump out after popping the bonnet and checking it to see that it has to do with the air vent; slamming the bonnet close, I kick the tire thinking, great, now I have to take her to the mechanics, and that will be expensive because it is an older car that dad got me for a little present on moving here.

Danm, I wouldn't say I like cars. They are so not my thing; I open the door to grab my things and start to walk home with the cold biting at my bones; when I was walking on the side of the road hugging myself to keep warm, I heard a beep I turn around to see headlights hoping it is not a perv. Still, then I notice the type of car it is. It so happens to be Doctor Cullen's, which makes me sigh in anger because the one person who hates me has found me walking home because of my stupid car. This is just perfect; it then began to rain, which made my hair fall down my back in long strands of dark brown as I gripped my arms some more in the cold rain. Doctor Cullen gets out of the car walking towards me as I look at him with a raised brow, "Lovely weather to go for a walk, isn't it, Doctor Swan?" he jokes to me, which makes me glare at him and then turn back around to continue to walk home. Someone catches my arm, which is cold and goes through my shirt on how cold it is, making me look behind me at Doctor Cullen, who grabbed my arm as my arm is tingling in the cold, but it is a nice feeling to have his hand on my arm, get your head out of the clouds Abby, "can I help you?" I asked him rudely because I was tired and needed to change out of these soaking clothes.

He smiles charmingly, and I wish to take that smile away from him someday or somehow, "would you like a lift? My place is around here." I look at Doctor Cullen when he says that, thinking, what does he want with me? He would like something. He is a man, after all; I stand there to think it over, thinking that it will take me forever to walk home and I might catch a cold by the time I get home. Still, if I go with Doctor Cullen, he has a shower, and I can call my dad to tell him where I am and who I am with. I nod to him, taking me somewhere warm; I follow Doctor Cullen to the car, where I sit in the excellent seats, hoping I am not staining them. He jumps into the driver's seat, giving me a little look as I grab the seatbelt and put it on with the hair dripping down my face as Cullen puts the heat on to warm me up.

Edited: 19/1/24