Chapter 35

I underestimated how much this would affect me.

The day we got to the ranch, I was more nervous than I'd ever been on any set or at any audition. My mind was sprinting, I couldn't focus on anything, and my hands shook like I had had ten espressos.

Which, in reality, wasn't far from the truth, as I'd slept maybe an hour the night before.

As I sat in the all-too-familiar kitchen of the Jackson ranch house, my stomach knit itself into unrelenting knots. My hands nervously twiddled the coffee mug in my hands around, and Luke cast a look over at me from his seat at the counter beside me. 

"Why are you so nervous? You wanted this."

His words were cold, and I grit my teeth, biting back a glower. "I didn't, Luke. I swear."

He scoffed, about to say something else but we were cut off by three people walking into the kitchen.

Athena, Poseidon and Kronos strolled in. Athena's face was tight, the omnipresent look of constant disapproval for the state of the world and her daughter written across her face. Kronos's face was unreadable.

Poseidon looked frustrated with whatever their private conversation in the living room to work out the details was, but it softened as he came closer to me. 

He cleared his throat, looking toward my mom and Luke's agent. "We've come to agreements, and we should be set. Aphrodite has gone outside to begin planning."

"We'll start filming tomorrow," Athena quipped, her mouth drawn tight. "Annabeth, meet me outside. We need to discuss boundaries."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes as she stomped out of the house. 

Kronos cocked his head, looking at me with a gaze I could almost feel. It was unnerving. "It's been a strange change of events, Miss Chase. I trust this new location will fix everything and the film will go on as planned."

I dipped my head. He watched me for a second longer, then he turned on his heel and followed Athena, motioning for Luke to follow.

The actor beside me shook his head, obvious disappointment displayed on his face, then he followed suit. 

When the door shut, both Poseidon and myself let out long exhales. 

"I'm sorry, Poseidon, I really am—I shouldn't have—I didn't mean to—I know they're terrible to deal with and now we've taken over the ranch and it's just a mess—"

"Annabeth, my dear," Poseidon said, stopping my nervous rush of words. I met his green eyes. They were soft, and twinkled with affection as he came close and grabbed my hand lightly. "I was just going to say, it's so good to have you back."

I closed my eyes briefly, trying to push emotions out. "Poseidon, it's just such a—"

"It will be okay," he assured me, letting go of my hand and taking a seat next to me. "Plus, the Jackson Ranch won't ever have to worry about finances after this."

I let out a humorless laugh, then we lapsed into silence. It was comfortable. When I had gotten here, I was tense and nervous, but now that I was able to be with Poseidon without my mother's glare and the cast and crew around, I finally relaxed.

This kitchen was so familiar. It was as if it was a few months ago, and I had never left. Memories started spilling into my mind, too quick for me to shove them down. 

I opened my mouth, but then forced it shut. I bit my lip hard. 

"Percy knows you're here."

All the air in my stomach whooshed out at Poseidon's soft words. At his name.