Chapter 27

Percy couldn't get enough of the ocean. I woke up the next day to Percy trying to sneak through my room to get out the back way—ultimately leading to the ocean. He shot me a sheepish smile as I rolled sluggishly over in my bed, seeking sleep once more.

After I had gotten that morning's sleep, I slipped out of bed, changing into my swimsuit and throwing the same swimsuit cover on. I grabbed a granola bar on the way out, calming my rumbling tummy. It was eight o'clock, but it was already at least eighty degrees out. The early sun shed its light, and the birds sang gratefully in the trees surrounding us. The waves crashed alluringly against the shore, and the sand was soft under my toes—overall, it was absolutely perfect.

I took a deep breath, soaking in the moment before heading farther out. Percy was laying on his back out in the water, spinning around in circles. A snort of laughter erupted in my throat at the boy.

Reaching my destination, I fluffed out a towel onto the sand, sitting down on it and adjusting my sunglasses.

"Good morning, Wise Girl!"

I smiled. "Good morning. You got up early."

He shook his head in disagreement. "You got up late," he corrected.

Rolling my eyes, I replied with, "Percy, eight is not that late."

"It is when the ocean is nearby! Come on, get in the water!"

"No, thanks. I'll stay dry up here."

He grumbled, called me a "loser-pants", and even begged me to come out—but I refused. My mother had always hated the water for some reason, and I think that passed down to me. I just didn't feel safe in the inconceivably vast ocean.

Finally he gave up, resorting to spinning around again. I walked down to the water's edge, letting the water reach up and tickle my toes.

"Have you heard anything from your mom?" I asked Percy.

He tipped his head back to look at me upside down. "Yep. She called earlier this morning. She's doing fine, it was just some stomach flu. She says hi, by the way."

I grinned, glad Sally was doing better. She was like my surrogate mother, and I was disheartened when she couldn't make it on the trip.

Though when Percy stood up and trudged over to me—his hair wildly tempting and his toned body glinting from the water—I was secretly wickedly glad I got to come in her place.

Shaking those thoughts off, I stared out at the water. That didn't help. They were the same color as Percy's eyes.

"Thanks for coming with me," Percy said, his voice soft.

"It's no problem at all, I always enjoy some beach time."

"Wanna swim?"

I exhaled exasperatedly. "Percy, I already told you. I'm not swimming right now. You'd have to drag me out there before I willingly went in."

"Why not?"

"Because. I'm... You're gonna laugh at me."

"I pinky promise I won't laugh at you."

I sighed. "I'm afraid of the ocean."

It was two quiet seconds before Percy burst out laughing.

I stomped my foot, glaring at him accusingly. "You said you wouldn't laugh, you liar."

His guffawing continued as he leaned down on his knees, trying to catch his breath. "I—I'm sorry, just—scared of the ocean?" Another fit of giggles rose in his mouth and I sent my eyes to the sky.