8. Competition of words

Before we begin, I'm here to let ya'll know, next chapter will be posted only after this chapter has ATLEAST 10 comments. As much as I love writing, comments motivate us, hence the lack of interaction has been disappointing us despite the growing reads and votes. Your comments will be well appreciated <3 (it was 20 comments but we got 0 so lol)

+++

The court went silent at the sudden mention of a declaration. Pitamaha Bhishm wondered what this was about and gave Vidur a look.

"As you all know, the princes of our kingdom have returned, they have become excellent warriors and it'll soon be time for me to retire. Hence, I will soon be declaring the Yuvraaj of Hastinapur."

The court buzzed with conversations again, the concerned princes in question looked at the eldest of their own sides. Duryodhan stood straight eyes flickering with desperation and determination. The king of Gandhar checked everyone's reaction, eyes carefully oberserving the men of the court. He knew he had to step up and talk to his brother-in-law to know what his decision was. He noticed the Grandsire's shocked gaze and calculated he did not have any idea either.  

Niyati and Prakriti shared a look, realising they had to work fast to avoid the first problem of the era.

"My second announcement is something I want to hear no objections about." The king continued.

 This caused everyone to  become tense. Three of the Pandavas mostly looked at each other, wondering if this was a new way of humiliating or sending them off to help the oldest kaurava get to the throne.  Sahadeva, on the other hand, looked calm as no ill feeling took birth in his conciousness and Yudhisthir as alway stayed calm and composed. 

"After multiple conversations with my wife..."

"Is this a marriage announcement for you or something?" Prakriti asked only to recieve a horrified look from Niyati. "No, it's something better." She smiled.

"I, on request from the kuru Princesses, Princess Shivanya and Princess Dusshala, have decided on creating a women's council in the court."

That's when chaos erupted, the courtesans who mostly believed in patriarchal grandeur felt insulted at such and addition to the court beside them. Dhritarashtra frowned in annoyance. Mahamahim Bhishm stood up causing the court to fall silent, "the king did request no objections..." Then he turned to his nephew, "but putra, can you reason such an addition?" He asked, frown evident at the sudden change of rules.

"If you allow me, father. May I?" Niyati stood up so she was visible.

Dhritarashtra nodded in approval,

"Pitamaha, the women of our royal family are all well educated with shastras and are of immense intellectual background. Mata and Rajmata Kunti both have respected positions in the court yet their opinions are not publicly given, other than that Dusshala jiji, who is trained in all kalas and shashtras and me, the student of revered sage Vyasa and Bhagwan Parshuram and blessed with various knowledges, will be great additions to the court and help for them. You must not know about the struggles of the common women of our kingdom who can't approach the royals of court. I think everyone equally deserves justice, hence the women's council will take care of the struggles and problems of women and children as well as take part in court discussions." Pitamaha, in awe of the idea, nodded in agreement.

"But what is the need for such an council? A council for the problems of women seems minute." A courtesan claimed.

"I think you're unaware of the society but most of women's problems are men. Assaults, fraudulent torture, enslavement, harassment, abuse and humiliation are common problems that occur amongst common people. Dwarika too has a women's council, although it works beside the male council because of lack of much crime against women." Prakriti added.