16. Jumping into fire

[Mood song of the chapter: Gilheriyan - Jonita Gandhi]

Niyati was honestly having the time of her life in Dwarka. Krishn and Arjun were gone for a secret quest to Vidarbha. Ofcourse she knew what the quest was and she couldn't wait to meet her Gopal's Sri in person. She might cry. She watched Vikarna and Dusshala argue about something stupid with a goofy smile. Her feets were submerged into the small lake in the garden that was adorned with lotuses, shocking as they grew in clean water, alongside water lilies and some other flowers she couldn't name. Birds came and sat by her, drinking water from the lake and sometimes even nipping curiously at the little sequins of her angvastra that shined under the sweet sunlight of Dwapar.

"Animals seem to like you." A gruff voice said from behind her.

"Pranipat, Dau." She smiled looking up at the older man, smile reaching her eyes. Balaram chuckled, sitting down beside the comparatively tiny girl. He knew her....and Prakriti, way before they knew him, atleast till what their conscience and memory let them know. They need to still find out their reality.

"You like the nature?" Dau asked staring a bird came and sat on her shoulder. Niyati shrugged, "Prakriti, true to her name, is more beloved of the nature. I am just a companion. Honestly speaking I feel like a bird myself when around her. I guess they find me... similar to them." Niyati chuckled, watching as the bird flew away at the sudden motion.

"You do love her a lot. Considering both of you are from Kaliyug, I am surprised to find such a pure sisterly bond as yours." Dau hummed. Niyati giggled, "we fit in here better. Except the extreme misogyny and the excessive presence of stupid men- you and gopal aren't included, sometimes I feel like they need a glimpse into kaliyug to shut up and actually do some work." Niyati huffed. She frowned as she watched few bees buzzing by her head to find nectar within the flowers.

"Dau?" Niyati called upon Adi Sheesha who was already looking at her with a gentle smile. He hummed in question.

"Do you think that if we change things here....it will change things back there?" She asked, eyes moistening at the thought of all the bad things about to happen in the years to come. She couldn't bare the thought of Draupadi marrying five men, her insult, the children dying...her....her brothers doing all these heinous crimes. No, she couldn't, not when she has grown attached to them.

"Maybe. Maybe not. As much as I know from Kanha, you both are here to change things. This Maha Yuga is different from others. This Maha Yuga evil somehow gained this power .....we don't know of. The systematical occurences were ruptured so kanha had to rupture the timeline. I am not sure if this change would remain in the next Maha Yugas  but this one, you're here for change, little one." Dau smiled.

Niyati hugged his arms, resting her head on his bicep because that's what her head reached till. "I'm only letting the 'little one' comment go because it is you." She laughed, pondering on his words.

"I've literally watched you grow up in your past life. 'dau needs a new crown' you used to tell your mother as she sat to clean our attires at your grandmother's house. I remember it all." He laughed.

"Yeah because Gopal got all new things, Radharani had her's, I don't know how they could neglect you."

"I love how you and Prakriti both love me more than Kanha." Dau laughed.

'that is untrue' echoed in their mind, Kanha's familiar voice speaking to them in their head.
The duo started to laugh louder at that, earning amused glances from the spectators around them.

+++

"You still have time, Mitra. Don't do this." Karn urged his friend.