Chapter 7

There was a knock at the door, and Bruce appeared. His hair damp and clothes changed.
He wore a simple pair of tan pants, a white polo, and his signature black 'Sinn special forces' watch.
He looked handsome.
"I'm back, sweetheart,"

Selina felt underdressed. Her simple black tee and ripped jeans suddenly felt out of place.

Bruce must have sensed her discomfort because he put a comforting hand on her shoulder.
"Don't worry, we're going to have this wardrobe full by the time the weeks up, darling. You'll be looking better than both of us soon enough."
Bruce looked up at Alfred.
"Won't she?"

He dipped his head politely.
"Yes, quite."

Bruce kissed her forehead. A smile playing on his lips.
"Now, are we ready for lunch?"

Alfred inclined his head. "Almost, sir, I have a few things to prepare."

"Alright. We'll be down in a minute."

The butler nodded and left the room.

Bruce put a comforting hand on her cheek. His gaze softening.
"I love you, Selina. Anything you need, anything at all, just ask, okay?
I'll give you anything you want. I just want you to be happy here."

His eyes searched hers as he stepped closer. A hand drifting to her lower back.

Her eyes dipped down to his lips.
"I love you too, Bats. But I have everything I need right here."

Her lips met his as she kissed him gently. Warmth heating her cheeks.
She knew she'd be more than happy with him. She just hoped he'd be happy with her, too.

~~~

Alfred placed a steaming bowl of spaghetti in front of Selina.
They sat at a large mahogany table in the dining room.
Fabric napkins two sets of cutlery and a flute of champagne.
Despite the simple dinner, Selina felt out of place.
She didn't even know which fork to use.

"I know it's not much, but we didn't want to bombard you with a fancy twelve course meal. Not on your first day, of course."
Bruce said with a chuckle. Sipping champagne from his glass.

"No, of course not. This is still nice, though. You don't need to do fancy stuff for me, Bruce. You know I'm not exactly used to the finer things in life."
Selina picked up a larger fork on the left.
She hoped it was the correct one.

"But, that's exactly why you deserve nice things." He protested

Selina ate a bite of spaghetti. The rich sauce paired with the plain noodles was a match made in heaven. She resisted the urge to hum with pleasure.

"Perhaps Miss Kyle needs time to adjust to this new...lifestyle." Alfred suggested from his position by the side.

Bruce chewed thoughtfully.
Alfred was right. He was always right.
That's why he was Bruce's most trusted and loyal advisor.

"I am enjoying it." She said quietly.

They both looked at her

"I just feel like I don't deserve it all. How many years had I been a thief? Running from justice. I should be in a prison, not here in some lavish manor." She waved a hand. Poking at her food.

Bruce put down his fork. Reaching across the table for her hand. His forehead creased.

She saw his hand and averted her gaze.

He nodded slightly and pulled his hand away.
"Selina, you only stole for all those years because you had no other choice. You were desperate. You did what you could to survive."

She met his gaze.
"That doesn't mean it's right."

"I'm paying off all your debts as we speak. You're forgiven. And all those brands you stole from? I'm already buying from them. Everyone will be more than reimbursed."

It wasn't about the money. It never was. It was about the idea that she'd gotten away with it.
Then again, she was just a petty thief. She never hurt anyone.
But the fact he'd do all this for her without a second thought...

She searched his eyes.
"Why are you doing all this for me?"

"Because I love you."

He stood and walked around the table and knelt beside her. Taking her hand in his.
"Selina, I'm so in love with you. I'll do anything for you. Anything just to see you smile.

Her vision blurred with tears.

"Selina, I've been batman for a long time. I've seen some bad people, do bad things."
He squeezed her hand.
"And you're not one of them. You're not heartless and selfish like the rest... Like Joker."

"It always comes back to Joker." She scoffed with a small smile.

He smiled back. "Yeah, I guess it does."

His smile quickly faded.
"Joker and his henchmen have done some terrible things. He's irredeemable. Medical intervention only made matters worse. The staff being abused in ways nobody could imagine."
He shook his head. His gaze turned distant.

An image of Harley Quinn flashed through Selina's mind
Her manic laughter echoing through her mind.

"Joker is one of those we lock up and throw away the key." He continued.
"But you?"
He squeezed her hand reassuringly.
"You're different. You're only doing things cause there's no better alternative.
You're a good person, Selina. You're doing your best."

Selina stifled a sob. A tear sliding down her cheek
He used a thumb to brush away the tear before caressing her cheek.

"Thank you, Bruce. What did I do to deserve you?"
She leant forward and kissed him deeply.

He kissed her back
"You did your best"