Chapter 8

After lunch was eaten and Selina helped put the dishes away, much to Alfred's dismay.

Bruce decided to take Selina on a quick tour of the house.

They walked from the formal dining room, into the lounge room she'd been in earlier. Then, into what Selina learnt was the formal kitchen (not to be confused with the normal kitchen where food was actually prepared).
Before turning right, passing through a hallway lined with famous artworks.
Many she recognised from famous artists like winslow Homer and Ernst ludwig Kirchner.
But there was a larger one she didn't recognise.

Frowning, she stopped. Stepping back to get a better view.

It was a realism peice, definitely old, based on the style.
It depicted three Roman guards with arms outstretched towards a man in the center who was holding swords. He seemed to be protecting three women and a child, who sat draped on chairs behind him. Their faces solemn and gaze averted.
Large golden frame around the edges.

"You like art?"

"Yeah, I do."
Anyone who spent their nights stealing from museums and galleries was bound to love art. Even in the dim lighting, Selina often stopped to admire artworks.

"Are you familiar with this one?" He asked, gesturing towards the painting.

She shook her head. "No, I'm not."

Bruce stood beside her.
"This one's an old one. It's called the Oath of the Horatii. Painted around 1785 by Jacques-Louis David.
It lived in my father's study for many years, but after the renovations, I got a new artwork commissioned and moved this one here." He explained. His eyes sparkling with delight. She didn't think he got to discuss art very often.

"Jaques-Louis?" Selinas eyes widened
He was a famous artist whose works were usually in grand museums like the louvre in paris. Not in some mansion in Gotham.
Maybe he was richer than she'd first thought.

Bruce must have seen her expression because he laughed.
"Don't worry, this is a reproduction. A copy"

Selina let herself sigh before taking a closer look.

She took note of the careful brush strokes.
How the paint was blended in such a way, you couldn't tell where one shade of brown met the next.
It was breathtaking. The attention to detail, especially given the age of the painting.
It was incredible. No wonder the original was in the Louvre.

Bruce placed a gentle hand on her lower back, drawing her attention.
He smiled. A knowing look in his eyes.
She didn't realise how intently she was staring at the artwork. She didn't hear him speaking to her.

"Sorry," Selina giggled sheepishly.

"I said, let's keep going. I have something to show you."
She nodded and followed him down the hall.

He opened a door on the left, revealing a large mahogany panneled study.
The smell of paper and cigars filling her senses.

"This was my father's study. He led Wayne industries from this office. Millions of dollars passed through his hands here."

Bruce ran his fingers along the edge of the desk, which sat in the centre.
"This room is important for many reasons. During your stay here I'll teach you why."

Selina raised an eyebrow.
"Let me guess, the batcave?" She mused out loud.
Unless there was something else?

Bruce huffed a laugh, his head dropping for a moment.
The gesture telling her all she needed to know.
"That's something for another time, Selina."

She pouted. "But, Bruce -"

"I have something better in mind for now."
He moved towards the back of the desk, where there was a small set of drawers.
He opened the bottom drawer and pulled out a red velvet box.

"I have something very special to me. I want you to have it."

She walked over to him, and he faced the box towards her. Opening it with a click

She gasped as she saw a beautiful pearl necklace. Sat on a white silk pillow.
Fresh water pearls in various sizes strung together with the largest in the middle and smaller sizes along the edges.
Definitely vintage based on the design and the original box.
Must be worth thousands.

"Oh, Bruce, they're lovely."

"They were my mothers." He said quietly. A small smile crossed his face.
They clearly meant everything to him.

She dared reach out a finger. Carrssing the larger pearl carefully.

"She's not wearing them anymore, so I want you to have them. They'd suit you."

"Bruce, I cant-"

"Please." He insisted. His face hopeful.

She chewed her lower lip and nodded.
This was a great honour. He didn't offer his mother's pearls to just anyone.

A grin crossed his face. His eyes sparkling in a way she hadn't seen in a long time.

He placed the box on the desk and carefully lifted the necklace out.
She turned her back to him, and he gently clasped it around her throat.  Kissing the side of her neck behind her ear.

She hummed in delight, her hand coming up to feel the cool pearls that rested at the base of her throat.

"Bruce, I love them. Thank you. "
She whispered. Blinking hard against the sudden wave of tears that threatened to spill.
This was the first expensive necklace she'd worn that wasn't stolen or covered in blood.

He stood in front of her with a smile. "I'm glad you like it. My mother would have loved you."

She smiled softly.
"It's an honour to wear her pearls."

"Selina, do you think you'll be happy here? With me, in this large house?"
His hand came up to caress her cheek. His eyes searching hers.

She signed dramatically
"Oh, I don't know. It seems far too luxurious for me..."
She laughed deapite the twars. The sound like music.
Far too rare

"Of course I'll be happy, Bruce. I'm already so happy."
She leant forward and kissed him. A tear rolling down her cheek.

He couldn't help but smile against her lips.

For a moment, the manor didn't seem so cold and empty.
Love filled the halls for the first time in far too long.

Maybe his parents were dead, but their love wasn't. It still remained in the corners like dust. Waiting silently.

Selina reminded him there was still love and happiness to be had.
That he was still capable of kindness and gentleness despite the blood on his hands.

And maybe Selina realised that there was a future for her here.
All she needed was him in this large house.
Her heart full of love

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks so much for reading Our Shadows!

It means alot to me <3
I hope you enjoyed it as much as i have :)
Share it with a friend

Read Our Shadows on Ao3: https://archiveofourown.org/works/53057401