Chapter 9

Woodsboro hospital, California 8 October 1996

Serena lay in a hospital bed, no movement or sound had come from her room in about a week and a half.

Just because they couldn't hear her doesn't mean she wasn't there, laying still didn't mean she wasn't crying for help. Serena could hear everybody talking to her -well that was for the first few days. The boys or her father haven't visited her for eight days. 'Have they left me?' Serena kept thinking or maybe they decided that she wasn't worth waiting for, that if she dies or never wakes up that it doesn't matter to them. Serena screams and cries but it always has no avail. Would she ever wake up, did anybody care, probably not was her guess. Life wasn't really worth living if she was honest.

Well come on she thought about it. She's done everything she ever wanted. She'd killed Sidney and she had finally gotten her revenge. It didn't make her life any better though, well duh she was in a hospital bed. Probably dying and having no one there to care for her other than the nurses that come in. Always apologizing that this happened to her and that her family hadn't come back.

She hated it all. Whenever she heard the nurses voice she wanted to cry because it wasn't her family or a friend. Not that she had any her only friend was killed.

"Thank you boys." The sherif said shaking both, Stu and Billy's hands. Finally the investigation was over. The crime scene was placed perfectly to blame the crime on Neil. Surprised that it had actually worked the boys had never felt so happy. But that happiness was shattered soon after when the sherif spoke up again. "Have you boys gone to see Serena recently."

They looked at each other planning on lying but then Stu spoke up. "No we haven't sir, just over a week now." He looked at the shorter biy next to him and then back at the sherif. He suggested that the boys go because according to the officer that was by Serenas door -incase the killer was still out there and not Neil- he had said that the nurses weren't happy with her condition saying it was worsening and they suspect infection.

Suddenly Stu felt immense guilt and Billy felt as though he'd just kind of forgotten about her and left her to die alone in the cold and lonely hospital bed. They both nodded their heads towards the sherif before walking off. "Hey, we should go today before the hours are over." Stu said when they were half way down the street. "No. It was her idea if she dies because of it, then oh well. It was her choice." Billy just couldn't bare seeing her in that state in his mind death would've been better than her suffering alone in that bed. He went and visited her everyday for the first few days.

He just couldn't do it anymore, it hurt him to see his sister like that even if they didn't get along. She was still his sister. Not saying anything more the boys walked. Billy, not realizing, that Stu had taken him to the hospital. He told Billy he didn't have to go in. Billy stayed in the waiting room watching Stu walk down the long hallway and eventually into a room.

"Hey Serena, uh been a while hey." Beep. The only noise in the room. Her heart monitor and her breathalyzer. Stu felt like an idiot talking to himself and an unconscious body. Serena could hear the voice of the boy who had shot her. Happy to finally hear a familiar voice Serena had never wanted to move more in her life.

Beep. There was a chuckle. "My God Serena I am so sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you so badly." Stu said pulling the chair closer to Serenas bed before sitting down and pressing a hand over her most accessible wound. Stitches. All he could feel under the little square shaped plaster were little bumps. Which he assumed are the stitches the doctors had to place after removing the bullet.

Stu sat in silence for about fifteen to twenty minutes. The noise of Serenas heart monitor had blended into the background Stu not even noticing in anymore. That silence was was broken by the sound of the door clicking open. "Stu, we have got to go." Billy spoke when the door was fully open. He stared at his sister who lay motionless on the little bed. Walking into the room, to go get Stu. Billy placed a hand on his shoulder, startling the taller boy who appeared to have been daydreaming.

Bully convinced Stu that it was finally time to leave and so they did. Billy closed the door behind them not ushering a word to his comatose sister. But wondering 'Will she ever actually awaken?'

5 March 2024