chapter 6 : A Wolf & Their Enemies

"Buttercup...!"

Buttercup could feel herself still falling, and she let out a panicked gasp for air. Her entire body seemed numb, and she couldn't fly upwards. Struggling to become airborne, Buttercup's powers flailed. Come on, come on, come on... She broke through branches, thinking of how embarrassing this was.

. Just as she braced for impact, she felt two hands grab her. Suddenly, she stopped falling, and she blinked open her eyes. The two gazes she was met with were a pair of dark green eyes and a pair of dark blue eyes.

Buttercup released a breath she hadn't realized she was holding as they set her down.

"You okay, BC?" Butch asked, letting her go awkwardly.

"I'm fine," she grumbled, picking leaves off her shirt. "My powers went awol or something ." She glanced between her two saviors. "I get how Butch could reach me; he has powers, but how the hell did you catch me as well, Denji? You two were pretty far off."

The teen shrugged silently; Buttercup looked away from his penetrating gaze as DJ approached them.

"Denji is a speedy runner," DJ explained, smiling coolly. "I'm sorry for challenging you, Buttercup. I didn't expect you to do it." He said that last part extra loudly, and Buttercup realized why when the teachers appeared.

"Oh, Deth Jackson has apologized. You forgive him, don't you, Buttercup?" Ms. Titter asked.

no, Buttercup replied silently. But on the outside, . "Of course." she gritted through her teeth. I hate him, she thought to herself. DJ smiled back at her.

You could sense the electricity between the two buttercups may not know him, but she already couldn't stand him

Ms. Ella walked over to Buttercup and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Now, let's get you to the infirmary, dear. You look shaken," she fretted.

Buttercup began protesting, but she thought better and closed her mouth. She just nodded, letting Ms. Ella lead her away.

Butch watched her go before turning on DJ. "You did that on purpose," he growled. "You knew that branch was going to break."

"Why, whatever are you talking about?" DJ replied calmly, his gaze steady and cold. He smiled, revealing sharp teeth. "I only challenged her to climb it, and she agreed. Seeing how BC's forgiven me, maybe you should too...you Mutt."

That's the last goddamn straw. Butch reached out for the boy's throat, his sharp nails glinting in the sunlight as he snarled.

But before he could clasp DJ's neck in his hands and feel the satisfaction of strangling the boy, a hand stopped him. "Butch, don't."

Butch looked up to see Brick's calm red eyes. He let his hands drop, but he turned on Brick. "Why the hell can't I strangle him?"

Brick glanced at DJ, who was smirking and waving. When the boy turned around and walked off, Brick replied steadily: "You can't give him the satisfaction of letting him know he got under your skin. Besides...we can't do anything to them here. And you know we can't hurt them."

"I wish we could," Butch growled, one of his eyes twitching as they became slits. His irises shrank considerably.

Brick only shook his head, his firm grip on Butch's shoulder preventing the green Ruff from jumping onto DJ or Denji

"Let's keep playing!" the second teacher called, clapping his hands together.

Butch shrugged Brick's hand off, eyes gleaming. "If I can't hurt them here, I might as well hurt their stupid, big fat fucking egos ."