~ 13 ~

The final moments of the battle played on constant repeat in my head as Loki and I were now locked in an Asgardian cell. What could I have done differently? What could I have done to win?

Over and over I watched as the metal man flew through the warm hole with the nuke. Ruining all of my work.

"Sister, there's no use moping about it," Loki spoke, jolting me out of my focus. 

I knew I couldn't change anything that had happened but I hated failing. I ran a cold hand through my messy hair and sat up from the cot.

Our cell was a large rectangle with two cots on both sides and decorated with a chair and a table. It was the only cell to have any kind of decoration in it.

Mother would come to visit us daily and give us new books and updates on what Father was feeling. For a moment, we were scared Father was going to have Loki's head. For now, he's settled for life in prison. We were still unsure of what my punishment would be.

Mother walked into the cell just as I sat up and she cleared her throat before speaking. 

"Astrid, dear, your father has decided it is time for your release."

Loki looked back at me and as our eyes met I could swear a small twinge of hatred pierced his green eyes. Hatred for me. The anger simmered from his eyes as he walked to stand next to Mother.

"Really?" I said, a little shocked. "Why?"

She shrugged, the regal silk of her dress flowed with her every movement. I've always thought she resembled an angel. The best compliment was when people compared me to her.

"Your father and I have discussed this matter in length. He believes you've learned your lesson." As she finished, Loki scoffed and walked away towards the barrier of the cell, staring out at the new prisoners. 

I knew what he was feeling. He felt like Odin thought him evil.

"Odin continues to bring me new friends. How thoughtful," Loki says between his teeth. 

"The books I sent, do they not interest you?" Mother asks, trying to tame his temper.

"Is that how I am to while away eternity? Reading?"

She sighed, keeping a steady demeanor even though I knew it was hard for her to hear her children suffer. "I've done everything in my power to make the two of you comfortable."

Loki glares at her. "Well it isn't the two of us anymore, is it?" He leans over the table. "Does Odin share your concern?" He knew the answer. I knew the answer. Mother knew the answer. "Does Thor?" Now that was a question I truly didn't know. Did he hate us after New York? "It must be so inconvenient having them asking after us day and night."

"You know full well it was your actions that brought you two here." Hearing that from my mother stung a bit. Did she think I was evil?

"Our actions?" Loki said, pointing a questioning hand between us. "We were merely giving truth to the lie we had been fed our entire lives. That we were born to rule."

Loki began pacing around the cell, Mother keeping a hawk eye on him.

"To rule? A true ruler admits their faults. What of the lives you took on Earth?" I struggled with the fact that I was responsible for a death toll but we did what had to be done.

"A mere handful compared to the number that Odin has taken himself." Loki bit back at her.

"Your father-"

"HE'S NOT MY FATHER!" Loki's voice echoed around the cell, making me jump and Mother's eyes widen. 

Her bright blue eyes shifted from anger to sadness. Seeing them filled with sorrow seemed so unnatural. "Then am I not your mother? Is Astrid not your sister?"