Chapter 9

Chad stormed out of the house and down the stairs. He was trying to get his anger under control before he reached the barn. It wouldn't do him any good to approach the skittish mare while he was mad. Horses feed off of human emotions. He wasn't mad at anyone in particular, except maybe himself. Once again, he had found himself stuck in a nightmare.

This time, instead of Xena approaching him, it was Anna. She walked across the battle scarred street wearing a pair of denim shorts and that damn red crop top. It was the first time the nightmare had changed. In the dream, an insurgent had come up behind him and grabbed his shoulder. He found himself without a weapon and swung on the guy. To his dismay, when he had finally come to his senses, he realized he had almost punched Anna right in the face.

Staring into her startled face, he found his eyes drawn to her lips. She had a full bottom lip and the bow of her top lip formed sharp peaks. They were the most perfect lips he had ever seen on a person. Thankfully, she had stepped back before he could do something stupid like kiss her. Just thinking about it had him hard all over again.

He stopped outside the barn and took several calming breaths. That's how Chase found him. "You okay, brother?"

Chad nodded and turned toward him. "I will be. Did you have a good time?"

Chase laughed, "For about two hours. Then, I had to stop Tif from calling. She tossed and turned all night, worrying about the girls. Did everything go okay here? With the cleanup and the girls?"

"Yes, we had a bit of a hiccup when Levi had to leave and Randy couldn't make it out to help clean up. Anna and I were able to finish getting everything packed up just in time for the rental company. The girls were perfect, as usual."

"How's the mare?" Chase asked.

"Come see for yourself. I was able to get her saddled yesterday and run her through the paces. She still needs some work before Tiffany will be able to ride, but you should be able to handle it."

"Me? I thought you would finish her? You are way better with training horses than I am," Chase noted as they entered the barn.

"About that," Chad clicked his tongue to call the mare over to the stall gate, "I'm planning on leaving in a couple of days. Newlyweds don't need the broody brother underfoot."

"You know you are more help than hindrance around here," Chase countered.

"It's time for me to go. I already have a job lined up in Denver." Chad reached out and scratched the mare's forelock. "Tiffany's old boss needs a bouncer at the club. He's also looking to do some promotional ads and wants me to do the pictures."

Chase stared at his brother like he'd grown a second head. "You? Working in a strip club? That's never been your cup of tea."

Chad shrugged, "It's work. Won't be the worst thing I've ever done to earn a buck."

"I guess not. Well, let's get this girl out to the corral so Tiff can see her in all her glory. I can't believe you found such a beautiful horse in that short amount of time."

The two men walked to the tack room, and Chad pulled out a bridle. "I have an old army buddy that runs a horse rescue up in Kansas. She was pulled from a kill pen." Back at the stall, the mare let Chad put the bridle on after he gave her a handful of sweet feed.

Chase shook his head, "I can't believe anyone would send such a beautiful horse to a kill pen. Tiffany is going to love her."

Chad opened the gate and led the dappled gray mare through the back doors and into the corral. "She's going to be an amazing animal."

A sudden squeal erupted. Tiffany and Anna had just rounded the barn. Tiffany clasped a hand over her mouth, eyes wide in surprise. "Oh my goodness! She is beautiful. Is she mine?"

Chase opened the gate to let the women in. "She is. She's not ready for you to ride just yet, but she will be in a few weeks. What do you think?"

Tears filled Tiffany's eyes, and she wrapped her arms around her husband's neck and kissed him passionately. Chad stood holding the lead rope and cleared his throat. Anna giggled as Tiffany released Chase, who kept one arm around her.

"She is the most gorgeous horse I've ever seen. Don't tell Chelsea, but I think she's even prettier than Prada," Tiffany whispered.

"Are you ready to meet her?" Chad asked.

Tiffany nodded her head emphatically. Chase instructed her to hold her hand out, palm down, so the horse could smell her. Chad could tell it was taking everything in her to keep from bouncing in excitement.

"Use the back of your fingers and gently run your hand up her nose about halfway," Chad told her. The horse leaned into her hand. "As long as you make slow movements, you can pet her now."

Tiffany stepped away from Chase, closer to the horse, and ran her hands along the mare's jaw and neck. "Can she be ridden yet? I know I can't yet, but have you been able to ride her?" she asked Chad.

"Yes, I've been on her a couple times. Do you want to see how she does?"

"Please," Tiffany pleaded.

"Chase, will you go get my saddle and blanket from the tack room? Ladies, you will need to get out of the arena. It won't be safe for you inside the fence."

Anna and Tiffany went back through the gate, closing it behind them. They stepped up on the bottom bar of the fence and leaned over the top. When Chase returned with the saddle and blanket, Chad handed him the lead rope. The mare was a lot less antsy than she had been the day before. Saddling her took a fraction of the time it had. He detached the lead rope and handed it off to Chase. With reins in hand, he slowly mounted the horse.

Chad loved the thrill of training such a large and powerful animal. He felt his heart pick up with the adrenaline, but kept his breathing steady. As soon as he had is leg over the saddle, the horse bolted. He felt the grin spread across his face. He had hold of the saddle horn and the back of the saddle to keep himself in the seat. Feeling the power beneath him as she kicked and bucked trying to dislodge him was indescribable. In less time than the previous day, she settled into a trot.

Riding past the women and Chase, he watched his sister-in-law's face as she fell in love with the mare and her husband all over again. He pulled back on the reins and slowed to a walk as he made his way back around the arena. His eyes met Anna's as he approached, and she quickly looked away. Pulling back on the reins, he stopped the horse beside the group.

"What do you think?" he asked Chase.

"I think you are a miracle worker. I can't believe how calm she is already. It's like a totally different horse than the one we fought onto that trailer," Chase said in awe.

Tiffany smiled up at Chad, "I can't wait to ride her."

"Chase will have to work with her a bit more, but it shouldn't take much longer. Do you think you can handle her, brother? I know it's been a while since you worked with an untrained horse."

"I haven't gone that soft," Chase scowled.

Chad laughed and dismounted the mare. He handed the reins over to Chase. "Let's see ya ride, boss man."

Grasping the saddle horn and back of the saddle, Chase put his booted foot into the stirrup. Chad rubbed on the horse's neck to calm her. Once Chase was in the saddle, he stepped back. With a gentle tap on her side, she moved forward. Having already gotten all of the bucking out of her system with Chad, she followed Chase's every command. Chad looked back at Tiffany who stared after her husband with a mix of love and lust.

Anna stood beside her, silently watching her friend. Her gaze turned to meet Chad's, and she smiled. It was a genuine smile that softened her features. He felt himself smiling back at her. He stepped through the gate and moved beside Anna.

"How about we go back to the house for some breakfast and leave the two lovebirds to take care of the horse?" he whispered.

Anna nodded, and they quietly slipped away.