𝐄𝐲𝐞𝐬

The briefing room was bathed in a soft, humming light as you entered, the atmosphere tense with the anticipation of the impending mission. The hum of electronics and the subdued chatter among the team members created a backdrop for the upcoming discussion. As you scanned the room for a seat, your eyes briefly met Keegan's, but the lingering frustration from the earlier encounter made you opt for a seat next to Soap instead. Soap, with his calm demeanor, seemed like a more neutral and stable presence in comparison to the recent conflicts. You settled into the chair beside Soap, the cool surface a contrast to the heated emotions that still lingered from the encounter with Ghost. Soap acknowledged your presence with a nod, offering a subtle greeting without the need for words.

The briefing room fell into a hushed silence as Laswell entered, carrying a laptop. The quiet murmurs among the team members ceased as the attention shifted to her. Following closely behind Laswell was Price, his presence commanding respect and attention. Soap, who had been lounging in his chair, yawned and muttered, "This better be good. I was sleeping." Laswell rolled her eyes at Soap's comment, unamused. She placed the laptop on the table, and as she turned it around, General Shepherd's stern face appeared on the screen. "We got a hit on Hassan's location," Shepherd announced, his voice carrying a weight of significance. The revelation sent a ripple of anticipation through the room. "A small town on the outskirts of Las Almas", he said as a map with the location highlighted popped up on the screen. "It aligns with the intel Soap had previously retrieved."

Soap, leaning forward, interjected, "Actually, sir, Serpent found it." Laswell's expression remained stoic, but Shepherd's stern demeanor softened for a moment. "My apologies. The intel that Serpent found, even though most of it was bad, confirms his location. We're going to survey the area for a few days and see if he makes any moves." Ghost, with his usual straightforward demeanor, interjected, "So we have his location, and we're just staying put? We could get him right now."

The room held a momentary pause as the team considered Ghost's suggestion. Price, responded with a calm determination, "No, we have to be careful this time. Hassan would expect us to move quickly. If we stay put, let him think we lost his trail for a few days, we can catch him off guard when he least expects it." Ghost, though visibly discontent, nodded in reluctant agreement. As the strategic discussions continued in the briefing room, you felt a sudden urge to glance at Ghost, wanting to gauge his reaction to Price's plan. However, when your eyes met him, you realized he was already staring at you from the shadows. A chill ran down your spine as his intense gaze seemed to penetrate through the dimly lit room. The unexpected connection sent a shiver throughout your body, and a sense of unease settled in the air. Quickly, you averted your eyes, breaking the eye contact and refocusing on the details of the mission laid out by Price.

 Price, standing at the front of the room, continued to outline the mission plan with a calm authority. "The shadows will be up in the air, taking out threats from the outside and making sure Hassan doesn't have an escape route," he stated, his gaze sweeping across the team. The reference to the shadows, a skilled aerial unit, added a layer of strategic precision to the operation. He continued, "Los Vaqueros and the Task Force will be on the ground, infiltrating the buildings until we find him. But remember, we need to be careful. There will be civilians in the area." Price, his gaze steady and commanding, added another layer to the mission plan. "I want at least two people sticking together at all times. No one goes alone, and no one leaves until we have Hassan in custody," he emphasized, his tone leaving no room for interpretation.

"As we infiltrate the buildings, question some of the locals discreetly. We need information on Hassan's whereabouts, any possible hideouts, and his network," Price instructed, his strategic mind at work. The mention of engaging with locals underlined the need for subtlety and cultural sensitivity in a mission where civilian presence was a significant factor. "Uh, sir, I don't know Spanish," Keegan said, discreetly raising his hand. Alejandro, with a confident smirk, responded, "You'll learn soon enough." Price shook his head at Alejandro's comment and decided to address the issue pragmatically. He began handing out maps and a photograph of Hassan to each team member. "They'll understand; just show them this picture," he said, his tone cutting through the banter with a practical solution. 

"So, when will we be leaving?" you asked, your tone a blend of anticipation and practicality. Shepherd, appearing focused on the mission details, looked up and began speaking. "I don't know yet," he replied, his response straightforward. "You'll be notified the day before." The room absorbed the information, and a collective nod rippled through the team. The uncertainty of the departure date added an element of readiness and vigilance to the preparations. The soft hum of the lights persisted as the team members, armed with maps and photographs, contemplated the upcoming mission and the challenges it presented. "You're dismissed," Laswell said closing the laptop. 

As the briefing concluded, everyone gathered their assigned materials, preparing to pour out of the room. Amidst the movement, you heard Keegan's voice calling out to you from behind. "Serpent, wait." "I don't want to talk, Keegan," you said, determined to keep walking and focusing on the upcoming mission. Despite your reluctance, Keegan caught up with you, and in a moment of unexpected persistence, he reached out and grabbed your hand turning you around. The sudden contact caused you to flinch, a reflexive reaction triggered by the memories of Ghost's earlier actions. Keegan, realizing your discomfort, immediately released your hand and took a step back. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you," he said, his tone genuine and apologetic.

Keegan, still standing in front of you, took a deep breath before speaking. "I'm sorry about what I said earlier. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, I want to make it right," he apologized, he sounded sincere and remorseful. Without dwelling on the moment, you started walking again. "Then leave me alone for now," you said starting up the stairs. 

After softly shutting the door behind you, you found a moment of solitude in the comfort of your room. The soft glow of ambient light created a serene atmosphere as you stood with your back against the closed door, taking a moment to collect your thoughts. As you changed into the familiar comfort of pajamas, the soft fabric against your skin provided a sense of ease. The sounds of the hallway outside were muffled, creating a quiet retreat within the confines of your room. With pajamas on, you approached the bed, its inviting comfort beckoning you to lay down. As you settled into the bed, the events of the day replayed in your mind.

The soft hum of the lights, now a constant companion, created a soothing backdrop as you allowed yourself to sleep. 

1206 words