2. Chihiro & Mondo

Trigger warnings: Mention of crucifixion (In a non-religious setting.), Minor swearing & negative self talk

IMPLIED CHIMONDO IN A JOKE (NO SHADE TO SHIPPERS OR NON-SHIPPERS I'M NEUTRAL)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chihiro was filled to the brink with anxiety as he stood by the door. He knew that the boy on the other side of it was the reason he had PTSD just from seeing the extension cord used to end his life. It was a pathetic display of emotions in his eyes, which is exactly what he was aiming towards fixing before he got turned into a pinata. (I'm only a little sorry for writing this line.)

Long live his dreams, well past his soul at least. He hoped Alter Ego was doing alright, but he wasn't permitted to know. (Nobody tell him.) He readjusted the straps of his suspenders in hopes of looking collected and calm and wasn't crying .2 seconds ago, but he was trembling so hard. He wanted to trust Mondo, Mondo was a good person. It was just a fluke, it was out of shock. Right? He hoped if he kept repeating that in his head he'd believe it. He tilted the door handle and entered the room, still quivering hard enough to be a freaking tuning fork. He pushed the door open as cautiously as possible, and a familiar pompadour came into view. He slowly and timidly walked closer, and due to how quiet his steps were, even while avoiding his skirt getting caught on the adjacent door, Mondo didn't notice he was there until he sat down. 

There was a good amount of distance between the two of them, Chihiro doing this on purpose because part of him was paranoid, and also to hide the visible dent in the back of his head from wounds that felt ancient by now. Mondo almost looked alarmed to see Chihiro, as if he expected him not to arrive. Not like he exactly had a choice, especially not when Junko was ordering someone who was as submissive as Chihiro around. But part of Chihiro truly did want to make amends, it would put all of his old worries to rest if he had a solid answer on if he was to blame for his own death.

"Look, man, I'm sorry." Mondo spoke suddenly, with a certain edge to his voice, as if he felt too embarrassed to look Chihiro in the eye while apologizing.

"Hey.. It- .." Chihiro bit his tongue, struggling to find the words. "It's OK.." He finally said, a shaky smile wavering on his lips.

"But it's not. It was so ..  uncool.. of me to do that.. I was so d*mn selfish.."   Mondo's voice sounded as if he was on the brink of tears, but he wasn't going to let himself cry.

Chihiro was terrified still, being honest. But he knew he should try to help Mondo, and swallow his fear to be by his side. So he slowly inched his way closer to Mondo, trying to pretend he wasn't terrified he'd get hurt again. Mondo was in an incoherent rambling about his motives and accidental killing when he spotted Chihiro, who was now right in front of him on his knees. He had a smile on his face, his eyes wide and fawn-like. He was cute when he was like this, not in a romantic way (Bros before hoes) but more in a 'This person is like a puppy and I'm gonna protect them.' way. 

Mondo slowly raised his left hand, and Chihiro wanted to wince and draw back, scared of his own brain for conjuring such horrible thoughts. Mondo was his FRIEND. He wouldn't hurt him again. But he stayed strong in his expression so he didn't make Mondo feel guilty, and instead of hitting him, he just placed the hand gently on Chihiro's head.

He ran his hand back and forth along the top of Chihiro's head, combing through his hair. It tickled a bit, and Chihiro couldn't help but giggle a bit, he felt silly for subconsciously assuming the worst of Mondo a minute ago. Mondo was smiling in a somber way, feeling incredibly concentrated guilt. Due to the way he was taught to cope, part of his urges told him to crush the rest of Chihiro's head like a soda can, but he couldn't bring himself to do something so horrible.

"I'm sorry, Fujisaki." He said after a moment of silence.

Chihiro, who was still giggling to himself under his breath, looked up as Mondo removed his hand.

"It's alright, you were just overwhelmed.." He smiled at Mondo, but tears pricked his eyes and the words he wanted to say wouldn't come out, they stayed caught in his throat. 

Mondo stood up and silently began walking over to the door, when Chihiro made the rash decision to be bold for once. He ran up to Mondo and hugged him, half-pouncing on him from behind.

Mondo's face turned red in embarrassment, he felt like it was shameful to be hugged in such a way as a grown adult. In some ways, Chihiro truly was already stronger than him, just like the dream he took to his grave.

Mondo awkwardly shifted on his feet before turning around, facing Chihiro.

"What is it?" He asked.
Chihiro was already breaking into a gentle sob, but had a sad smile on his face still. 

"Thank you.." He croaked out rather weakly.

"I'm sorry." Mondo repeated.

"No, I-..." Chihiro bit the inside of his cheek. "I wouldn't trade this for the world. This moment. With you.."

Mondo sighed, trying to smile at Chihiro but unable to hold back his emotional turmoil. The pain of regret and guilt. 

"So, please don't go yet." Chihiro added to his statement, hugging onto Mondo again and burying his round face into his chest. "It wasn't our time.." He mumbled, soaking through Mondo's shirt with his tears.

"You've got that right.." Mondo finally broke his personal silence.

They both just stood there in the blank room beside the door for minutes that drew on like hours, before Chihiro's breath hitched and he made an effort to stop crying. The intercom chimed, and Monokuma spoke over it.

"Hey, you're interuptin' my spa appointment to make me yell atcha! Point is, audience isn't here to listen to you cry and flirt! So go be homosexual elsewhere why dontcha?" Monokuma's voice made the boys ears feel like they were about to bleed, so shrill and mixed with the sound of rushing water from God knows what Monokuma was doing to make him too busy to yell at them in person.

They both sighed, before shooting each other a smile that spoke a million words. Then they bid their goodbyes and Mondo exited. Chihiro waited 30 seconds, which he spent looking longingly at the security camera, before exiting the room himself.