Chapter One: Stakeout Night Out

Working at a police station isn't all bad.
Especially in New York, specifically Brooklyn.

The crime is high which meant Courtney always had lots of work to do. Work was good.
It got her mind off of things.
But sometimes, being around him made work almost not worth it.

Duncan Tarun was the most insufferable person you'd ever meet. At least to Courtney he was.
His desk was severely disorganised, he was unmannered and loved to annoy her.
He'd somehow always find a way to get on her nerves and set her off.

Years of anger management went poof when Duncan talked to her.

Before she could even start working- Duncan was already by her side- ready to taunt her.
"Hey, Princess." he smirked. That smirk.
She hated that smirk.
"Haven't I told you to stop with the terms of endearment?!" Courtney huffed as she slammed her laptop shut.

"Who calls them 'terms of endearment'?" he laughed but she didn't find it funny.
"Let me work, you ogre." she rolled her eyes.
"You're feistier than usual. What's up your ass?"
"You." she smiled smugly.
"No, lemme guess- you've forgotten all your stationery at home! No-no, wait- you didn't make your bed!" Duncan snickered.

He is so immature.

"Actually, the reason why I'm in a mood is because a certain neanderthal of a detective won't stop talking to me!" she shouted, making everyone go silent.
Duncan just started hysterically laughing.
Bridgette and Gwen, who were previously gossiping in a corner, shot her an apologetic look.

Courtney was confused at first but then realised it a millisecond before Captain Garren started shouting.
"SATELLA! TARUN! MY OFFICE, NOW!" Eva announced a little too loudly for Duncan's liking.

Courtney bobbed her head down and walked over as Duncan tried his best not to laugh.

"What. Was. THAT?!" Captain huffed angrily when her office door closed.
"I-" Courtney started but got cut off.
"Are you kindergarteners?! FIGHTING LIKE CHILDREN IN A POLICE STATION?!"
"Sorry, Captain. She's just-" Duncan got cut off.

"This isn't the first time this has happened- but it will certainly be the last. I'm assigning you two for the Mclean stakeout!" she announced.

Courtney's body filled with dread.
10 hours a day is already bad enough, let alone five days.

"Isn't that a week-long stakeout?" Courtney asked, her eyes wide open with shock.
"Yes. A week. Seven days you two will be together. Get your bags packed- you're going to New Jersey."

_____

3:02AM. That was the time, much to Duncan's dread. He stretched and rubbed his eyes.
Week hell with Ms. Uptight.
He wouldn't be surprised if she had a list of rules for the 'perfect' stakeout.

He didn't understand how men actually fell for her.
Okay, she was hot- but is it worth it when she's also a control freak with a supremacist complex?
He'd never go there.
Being with her would be worse than juvie.

Duncan waited outside his house for Courtney to pick him up.
Finally, a silver Toyota Collora pulled up to the sidewalk his apartment building was on.

"Get in." Courtney rolled her eyes at his irritatingly enthusiastic demeanour.
She wouldn't be surprised if the reason he was excited was about annoying her.

She was right.

Duncan sat next to her, the awkward silence so loud, you could hear him squirming in the leather seats.
Half an hour passed, and no words had been exchanged.
Duncan was getting sick of it, so he spoke.

"This car is very... you." he informed her, as he looked around the extremely clean and organised demeanour of the car.

There was a green apple scented air freshener hanging on the mirror along with a stuffed dice and a small book charm.
There were files that had been perfectly placed into the pockets of the doors and compartments.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Courtney asked as she raised one eyebrow.
"It means the car reflects on ya. Very control-freaky." he laughed which made her eyebrows furrow in annoyance.
Courtney was extremely irritable.

Specifically in the middle of the night- with the person she hated the most.
"If you don't talk, it'll make this whole trip a lot easier." she smiled smugly.

Duncan rolled his eyes.

"Aren't we supposed to get to know each other, babydoll?" he smirked.
"STOP. WITH. THE. PET. NAMES!!!!" she shouted, making him silent.

Finally, she thought.

"Let's play 21 questions." he suggested- breaking the once peaceful silence that Courtney liked.
"Fine." she sighed.
"What's your type?" Duncan grinned.
"You can't be serious." she asked as she glared at him.
"You gotta answer it." he shrugged.
"Anyone but you." Courtney scowled as she rolled her eyes.

"So- some ugly guy?" Duncan chuckled.
"Oh, you are so arrogant." she laughed.

Duncan was attractive, but Courtney couldn't understand how girls actually fell for him.
She didn't get the appeal of a 23 year old guy who dressed and acted like a egoistic, moody, gothy, sloppy teenage boy.

"And proud of it, too." he smirked- making Courtney roll her eyes.
"Okay, my turn- why do you like to torment people? Specifically, me." she asked seriously.

"You get irritated pretty easily." he shrugged.
"You are extremely irritating." Courtney snarled.
"You're not exactly an angel, Ms. Uptight." Duncan laughed but Courtney just glared at him.

The drive was painfully long, but after three hours of specific hell with each other- Courtney and Duncan had finally arrived.

"We're here."

____

i hope you liked the first chapter of Stuck With You!
as a lot of people have asked, i'm going to clarify that i am not discontinuing The Way I Loved You.
i have severe writers block for twily right now, and so i decided to write a new story as i develop new ideas for it.
i am in no way, shape or form ending TWILY, especially on a cliffhanger!!!
i am definitely going to release new chapters of all my series; TWILY, Stuck With You, Duncney One Shots and Chariots Boarding School.
But especially focusing on TWILY!!
just wanted to tell yall 🥰 love u all!!!