Chapter 3: Invisible String

Courtney stretched her hands out as she blinked, trying to adjust her eyes to the sudden sunlight, until she realised something was holding her.
No. Someone.

Had she slept with someone? What was going on? Doesn't she have work-
All the memories came crashing back when she realised where she was. And disgust came next when she realised who the only person possible who could be cuddling her.

"GET OFF OF ME!" Courtney fiercely shouted at Duncan, whom was still holding onto her.
He opened his eyes and quickly loosened his grasp and then the panic set.

"WHAT THE FUCK?!" the green haired man shouted, making karate moves, which made Courtney slap her forehead in frustration.

"You were cuddling me!" Courtney accused, pointing her index finger at him.
"I was unconscious. Don't flatter yourself." Duncan scowled.
"Ugh, whatever. Come on." she said, rolling her eyes and then soon grabbing his wrist and dragging him to the living room.

Once she sat down, she looked at him fully.
If Courtney thought he looked good last night, what he looked like now couldn't be described by 'good', because that would be an understatement.
His hair was messy and his morning voice was hot to say the least, and specifically his abs looked good in this light.

But she'd never admit it.

Same thing goes for Duncan.
Courtney's hair had gone wild, all curly and messy. Her tiny pink pyjama set accentuated her curves and Duncan- unlike Courtney- could admit she looked hot.

But not aloud.

"Well, let's start by discussing theories." Courtney said sharply, forgetting she ever thought he looked anything close to attractive.

He nodded.
"I think Mclean is hiding out in a hotel. It seems that he usually goes by 'Topher', at least that's what recent sources show." Courtney stated, shuffling papers in her hands.

"I personally think he's doin' what we're doin'. Hiding in an shitty abandoned house. Trust me, I know stuff like this." Duncan laughed.

"I've been investigating Chris Mclean for over three years, okay? Trust me- he's most likely in a five-star hotel!" Courtney yelled.

Duncan put his hands up in surrender.
"Fine, fine."

"Regardless, I wouldn't listen to you, anyways." Courtney scowled as he rolled his eyes.

____

After a long day of technically stalking Mclean, Courtney and Duncan were exhausted, sitting at the kitchen counter as Duncan poured a glass of wine for her.

"We're on the job, idiot." she rolled her eyes.
"So? We deserve it. Can we just act civil for once?" 
"Fine." she huffed before downing the cheap red wine.

"Sooo..." Duncan scratched the back of his neck as awkward white noise filled the room.
He might as well get wasted. Might help.

"So." Courtney looked around the room.

"Let's ask questions." he suggested as she raised an eyebrow.
"Oh, come on, Courtney! We've worked together for almost a decade and we barely know anything about each other. Let's ask questions."

She rolled her eyes and sighed. "Fine."
"I'll start," Duncan said as he took another sip. "Hmm... what made you wanna be a cop?"

"Straight into it, huh?"
"Ion like small talk." he shrugged.

"Okay, so when I was about seventeen years old, my parents bought me a brand-new yellow Honda S2000." 
"Fancy, I like it."
Courtney laughed, already a bit tipsy.

"One day, I went Christmas shopping and left my car in the Target parking lot. December 5th, 2016- I came back to drive home and I find a little punk trying to steal my car!" Courtney rolled her eyes sloppily as she took yet another sip of her glass.

Duncan's eyes go wide.

"I walk up to him- this wannabe-bad-boy was wearing a black hoodie, I honestly remember it like it was yesterday-  basically I started wacking my little purse on his head and he starts screaming 'Ow, ow, ow! I"m goin', I'm goin, lady!'" At this point she was hysterically laughing as she imitated the guy's New-York accent, that coincidentally Duncan also shared.

"Was this by any chance in Toronto?"
"Hahah, yeah," Courtney giggled, rocking back and forth. She was already drunk.

"Uhh, Courtney?"
"Yes?" she smiled up at him.

"I think that guy who tried to steal your car was... me." Duncan braced for impact, expecting harsh words and pointing fingers and him having to sleep on the floor- but instead Courtney started uncontrollably snickering. Even louder than before.

"This is too funny." Courtney placed a hand on his shoulder and electricity rushed through Duncan's veins, but he shrugged it off.

Drunk Courtney is actually... nice. What a surprise.

"Never thought a thief could become a detective."
"Had my ways," he shrugged, laughing with her.

Silence filled the room as they caught their breaths.

"You're hot when you smile." Courtney grinned at him and Duncan could feel his cheeks grow hotter.

"And you're drunk." he shook his head.

"I was wrong. You're hot all the tiiimee." she threw herself onto him.
"Courtney-"

"Can I kiss you?"
The possibility flashed before his eyes but he denied it.
"N-no. No. You're wasted." Duncan snickered.  He wasn't going to take advantage of her.

"And you're mean." she furrowed her eyebrows.
"C'mon,' he sighed as he threw her over his shoulder carefully.

"Let me down!" she kicked as Duncan rolled his eyes. 
He finally lay her down on the bed. 
"Good night, Your Drunkness." he bowed, snickering, but quickly went silent when he realised Courtney was already snoring.

He admired her for a minute. She really is beautiful.
The freckles that dusted the bridge of her nose.
The soft, caramel, mocha skin that seemed to stretch for miles over her long legs. The-

Wait, what? What was he thinking?! This is Courtney after all. 
Uptight, annoying, rule-following, 'I used to be a CIT' Courtney. 

The girl he hates, Courtney? 

Surely this was just drunk thoughts. Yeah, blame it on the alcohol.

He couldn't be catching feelings for Courtney.

Not for Courtney.

_____

i hope u guys liked this chapter !!
took me vv long but its finallyyy done !
new chapters coming soon and plus- a new story (or should i say stories)
ily bye !!