Chapter Seven

Giovanna sighed, "What will it be, Mr. Becerra?"

"Giovanna, there is no need for you to be formal." Marco crossed his arms in front of her as her lips trembled.

"What will it be, M-Marco." Giovanna stuttered, blushing in embarrassment. Marco smiled at how adorable this girl could be whenever they could have a chance to talk. He can't help but allure to her.

"Do you have any more lemon cupcakes?" Marco asked.

Giovanna lifts her upper body away from the counter, "Another dozen?"

"You know how Krissy's birthday is."

Yes, Giovanna knew how it was. She had been to Kristina's birthday parties many times before, and all of it was her dragging her by the hair just because she found out about Giovanna's liking for her brother. Why was it an issue? Giovanna didn't know herself, but that's all over with since she moved on.

"Eighteen eighty-nine is your total amount."

Marco handed his card to Giovanna, who happily took it away from him. She gave the card a simple swipe and handed it back to Marco. His wallet opened again as he slid his card into one of the pockets.

Giovanna hurried to their storage room, where all their freshly baked cakes were. She held a box with her mother's design around her logo and placed a dozen cupcakes inside. Giovanna also grabbed one to satisfy her hunger.

She frowned, taking a bite from the cupcake. I should have listened to my mother.

Giovanna felt heavy and disgusting. All the cravings and all the hunger were from being pregnant, so how could she help it when it was so hard to control this? A tear slipped out of one of her eyes, and taken another bite as she headed out of the storage room. She came out from the corner, handing the box to Marco. Before Marco could thank the small woman, his hand moved and patted her messy head.

"Don't come to Krissy's party." He urges her not to. He knows the trouble his sister caused this girl, but he also doesn't know the reason. Marco hates everything his sister does to Giovanna and cannot do anything about it. He has to step aside for her.

His hand slid down to her cheek to wipe the blue frosting off the side of her lip. "She'll humiliate you as best as she can."

"I don't have a choice." Her smile showed sadness, and Marco always knew this tiny woman was trapped by the people she loved dearly.

"You do have a choice, so please..."

Marco seized the box, "Don't come."

Giovanna watched Marco walk away, and to her, everything went in slow motion. Something was off about her, something that yearned her to take the first step toward Marco. Giovanna wrapped her hand around his wrist before he left, and something inside her felt warm.

A blush came back to her cheeks, "What if the only reason I choose to come is to see you."

Giovanna gave out a hiccup. She wasn't the type to have such courage, and this side of her had never existed until now. Marco's eyes widened at her sudden courage, but he sighted her mother coming out behind her. He quickly hugged the girl and leaned to her ear, causing her to flinch, his breath tingling her red ear.

"Still, don't come." Marco rubbed her back and exited the bakery. He stood outside for a minute with a big smile on his face. Oh, how much he adored this woman.

"What was all that about Vanna?" Bianca asked her daughter, who Mr. Becerra hugged. She acknowledged that her daughter was the definition of beautiful, but Bianca could never imagine the son of the Becerra family would take a liking to Giovanna.