༝ ˚ 。⋆𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑⋆。 ˚ ༝

"Hey!"

I snarled as the book was lifted out of my hands. The girl responsible laughed at my response.

Wild one.

So that's what I was to them? I didn't mind. I had assumed something like this would happen, maybe not in this fashion, but I knew enough about the animal kingdom to know that every food chain had it's acme and this must have been the Slytherin's.

Dominance is a big thing in the natural world, I spent years studying it without even realizing it. Every time a new predator or prey is introduced it must fight to survive, to prove its dominance amongst the others.

A creature's dominance determines if it will live or die in the wild. I had hoped that Hogwarts would be a little more civil since it was full of humans, albeit wizards, and not wild animals but I guess we all still have a primal instinct in us somewhere.

This one's was in her power over the other students, her dominance.

I watched two black snakes fight for dominance one time back at home. While I was still studying creatures back on the island I caught a rare sight. There were these two black snakes who had each stumbled upon a defenseless rabbit at the same time and they both wanted it, of course but they couldn't both have it.

I watched as the snakes went right past the unsuspecting rabbit and intertwined with each other, wresting and trying to destroy the other. With one final blow, one of the snakes sunk its fangs into the other and then devoured it whole before doing the same with the rabbit.

Nature is cruel.

"Let's just see what the wild one was reading- if she can read at all!"

The girl said, flipping through the pages of my book. She stopped and her eyes landed on a page.

She looked from it to me and her face fell. Her wicked grin became resentful.

"You're just as bad as Nerida."

She snapped and threw the book down at me, it nailed me in my chest. I didn't know who Nerida was but this didn't seem like a compliment. In fact it seemed like it made her like me even less. If it was even possible, I had descended farther on the food chain.

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

Chapter one, Blue Bloods

Blue bloods is a slang term, coined by early wizards and witches who studied Sea Magic. It means any ocean dwelling person or creature that could practice Sea Magic.

Mermaids and Sirens are typical examples of blue bloods, but it is not limited to just them. The Kraken and Loch Ness Monster are also blue bloods.

Blue bloods heirs from the fact that all of these creatures have just that, blue blood. Being that these creatures live in the ocean their oxygen intake is significantly less than those of humans or land dwellers and since oxygen, air, is what makes blood red, as a direct result, theirs is in fact blue. And thus they hold the name blue blood.

The most common blue bloods, as previously mentioned, are mermaids and sirens. Mermaids are known as being the better side of a siren, mystically beautiful and ever charming. Society has regarded them as princesses of the sea for a long, long time.