Dinner (N)

I could hear over the top groaning coming out of complete silence. Of course it was from Elijah. Not only did his exaggeration give it away, the fact that he was the only one in the room with me also was a hint. He threw himself back on his bed making the scattered blankets and clothes shift. The messy state of his bed was all I knew and it seemed like I'm the only other person who can stand it. I know I want him to be free with himself but maybe his bed could use a little order. But I tolerated it as I frequently sit here with him which only makes it worse. Maybe I should see this in a positive light. He doesn't feel the need to change things for me. He wants me to see him. I pause to look over at him to find him picking stuff out of his teeth using his phone camera as a mirror. My hope disappears. Or maybe he's just lazy. Sighing I give into his calls for attention.

"What?" I kept my focus on my phone as he tossed his arms out to his sides taking up space.

"My family. I completely forgot they wanted to do this dinner thing today. Or tonight I guess." He continued to groan indicating he wasn't very enthusiastic for this planned dinner. I don't remember him having a hatred for his family or being a depressed abused runaway so I was confused why he didn't seem to like this.

"Okay...? And you're upset, why?" I asked with a slight sarcastic manner. He let out a light laugh and started to lift himself up so he was sitting at the edge of his bed again.

"I'm not. Just forgot about it and I kinda don't wanna go now." He said while sighing and scooting closer to me. I was still confused on why he seemed so opposed to seeing his family that he very much liked. But I guess he's not even sure himself.

"Well, are you going?" I asked, turning my head to look at him. He was starting to shove his phone in his sweatshirt pocket and stand up from the bed. He looked back at me before reaching over and grabbing a belt slip in the loops of his pants. Which in itself indicated he was going. Contrary to his attitude about the idea of meeting his family for dinner. God forbid a dinner with family.

"Yea." He dragged out the word with a sigh. "You wanna come?" His question slightly caught me off guard even though it wasn't anything remarkable.

"Sure. Courteous today are we?" I shrugged with a sarcastic remark. He knew how to play along with my jokes which made me enjoy talking to him.

"A thanks would have been nice." He laughed while fitting his shoes on his feet and checking around for important items of his. He seemed to be hurrying which made me let out a light chuckle. I watched as he shoved more shit into his pockets before he grabbed his keys. It hit me that he was getting ready to leave right now.

"Wait, right now?" I questioned. Did he really forget about this till the last minute?

"Yea." He said with a tone making it seem like it was obvious. Fuck he really did wait till last minute.

After a short drive in his cluttered car we reached his mom's house. His car's messy state should be of no surprise to anyone as that's how most things he owned were. I don't think he tries to do this but I don't think he tries to prevent it as well. Either way I say nothing and simply observe. I know how to shut up and let him love in his happy little world. I want him to enjoy whatever he's doing even if I don't get it. Even if he doesn't realize these small things I do for him I still continue to. It seems like he doesn't realize a lot of things which I can understand. Ignorance is bliss. Whatever makes him happy.

Pulling into his mothers driveway he looked over at me for reassurance of some kind so I smiled. He seemed confident enough to head in so I followed as he walked up the door. The small moment of silence after knocking on a door and waiting for an answer was filled with us giving looks at each other with light laughter. All I could think about was the complicatedness in his emotions. What was he nervous for? Did he expect me to do something? Was he excited about us being together to visit his family? I was always trying to chase after what he thought. Trying to understand him through his mess but I was always surprised with something new. I loved it. I admired his mess. I found beauty in appreciation in something most people overlook or even hate. I hoped I would be able to shower him with knowing about every little thing I loved about him one day. I zoned out with my gaze still on him before it was interrupted with the sound of the door opening with chatter from older women. It was his aunts. Fighting to open the door like sharks eventually it swung open and arms came flying out offering to grab and hug him. Elijah walked into the sea of relatives as they smothered him in hugs and kisses. They squealed out words telling him how much they missed him and how much they loved him. I couldn't help but laugh quietly to myself upon seeing him getting squeezed by his family. I could see his face of embarrassment flash at me as he tried to slowly get out of their grasp. Once he started to walk in deeper into the house I followed a couple steps behind him. I tried to stay close to him as I've only met his family once and it was only his mom and dad. I barely knew anyone here so I was a complete stranger. Elijah eventually got out of the repeated hugs and kisses to catch a breath. He looked behind and saw me before reaching back and pulling me forward by the shoulder. He pulled me by his side and moved his arm to my other shoulder positioning us in an odd side hug.