Jihoon

As I traipse through the abandoned school hallway, I trace my fingertips along the cold stone wall. The sleeves of my oversized hoodie snag on the rough surface while the sound of my baggy jeans rustling against my legs echoes through the empty corridor.

It's the last Friday of spring term at the exclusive (and incredibly expensive) Windsly Academy. While my classmates have hightailed it home to start their two weeks of holiday, I've stayed late in the library, coding away on my computer science project.

The vast, ancient building of the school, with its seemingly endless corridors, heavy doors, and cavernous rooms, is an accurate metaphor for the five years of hell I've endured within its walls. Sure, it looks like a fairytale castle, but the creatures that roam its halls are definitely Grimm.

And still, I choose to stay instead of going home.

From one hostile environment to another, it's all the same to me. At least at home, Yoongi, the housekeeper, is always pleased to see me. But here at the academy, surrounded by hundreds of entitled kids from elite families, I'm ostracised and avoided. Utterly alone.

Well, that's not strictly true. Minghao, another omega, befriended me when we were thirteen, and no one else would even breathe near me. Omegas make up at least a quarter of the student body at Windsly Academy, but not one of them is as hated as me.

My friendship with Minghao certainly makes dealing with the cruel whispers and daily taunts easier. Unlike the other omegas, he never has to worry about being shunned for speaking to me. He's metaphorically bulletproof. His parents owned most of the real estate in the thriving business sector of Windsly until their untimely death in a motor accident. At fifteen, Minghao inherited their entire empire and is set to become one of the country's wealthiest and most powerful businessmen, even as an omega.

Amongst the over-privileged Windsly elite, Minghao wealth is still so astounding that people will bend over backwards for him no matter what he does. Parents would never forgive their children if their own businesses suffered because their sons were little pricks to the boy set to hold all the power.

But Minghao is gone for the spring break, probably jet-setting somewhere exotic with his godfather, who acts as his legal alpha. So that leaves me with two weeks stretched dauntingly before me. Most people would relish that much free time at home, but my father and I have what would understating be called a 'strained relationship'.

The current debate, university. Or, more specifically, my father's refusal to give me permission to attend, a requirement for omega students at every university across the country.

I long to study computer science. I love coding and building apps, trying to find creative ways to make life easier. But, as my classmates get closer to their dreams with each passing day, mine slip further and further away from me.

I'm preoccupied by my self-pity as I turn into the corridor that leads to the student car park and my cute little electric BMW. But, it becomes abundantly clear at that moment that I've made a colossal miscalculation.

How could I have been so stupid?

Today is Friday. Meaning that today the football team stays late for practice. And who is their captain? None other than my biggest bully. The boy who has made my life hell since I first walked through the school gates five years ago.

Kwon Soonyoung.

He's walking down the hallway, flanked by his two muscled sidekicks, Junhui and Daniel. And just my luck, I have put myself right in their path.

What a shitty way to finish my last spring term. I sigh as I close my eyes, knowing I'm not getting out of here without suffering some kind of humiliation.