Jihoon

Present Day

My drive home was a blur. I barely remember the journey from the picturesque countryside surrounding Windsly Academy to the sprawling beachfront mansion I call home.

The impressive, three-story house stands proudly in the distinguished neighbourhood, a fascinating mix of Tudor architecture with every modern convenience expected of a man who has made his fortune inventing mind-blowing software.

I bypass the front porch and head for the back door into the kitchen. I need to see a friendly face before dealing with anything else today.

I'm hedging my bets that Yoongi is already hard at work preparing something delicious for dinner. But as I walk in, I find him slumped over the counter, his unseeing eyes red and his skin blotchy from crying. When he hears me approach, he takes a shuddering breath and turns to face me, his face a mask of grief and pain as he quickly wipes away his tears.

My father hired Yoongi as my minder after my pa died from birth complications. When I was just a week old, Yoongi took on the role of raising me as if I were his own child. As a beta, he's unable to have children. But still, he has a thousand times more parental instinct than my father.

Sometimes I wonder if Yoongi has stayed in my father's employment just to be close to me. He is my fiercest protector and one of the few people in the world who actually love me. Of course, I have Minghao, as well as my Uncle Seungcheol and his true mate Jeonghan, who are my only relatives from my pa's side. But living with us, Yoongi has seen firsthand how my dad treats me. Whenever I'm at my lowest, Yoongi is there to pick me up, dust me off, and keep me going.

Recently, Yoongi has been helping me as I struggle to accept my father's refusal to let me attend university. Whenever he won't sign a campus tour permission slip or tosses a college brochure into his roaring fireplace, Yoongi's there to fix the pieces of my shattered heart.

But now, as I look at Yoongi's trembling smile, I can tell something is seriously wrong.

I rush towards him, grabbing his shoulders. "Yoongi, what's wrong? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, sweetie." He manages to choke out. "But your father wants to speak with you. He's in his office."

Yoongi takes my hands and plants a lingering kiss on my forehead. "Remember, Jihoon, I love you. Whatever happens, I'll be here for you, okay?"

I can't speak. My body goes numb as I consider what my father could have done to make Yoongi say those words to me. I know whatever's coming isn't going to be good. All I can do is nod at the man who has been more of a parent to me than my own. The man who loves me unconditionally but is powerless against my father's hatred.

I let go of Yoongi and stumble up to my father's office. I hear Yoongi taking his place at the bottom of the stairs, always ready to catch me.

Taking a deep breath, I brace myself and knock on the heavy oak door.

"Enter." My father's commanding voice sounds from within. With trembling fingers, I open the door to see my father fixated on his computer screen as if it holds the answers to the universe. Well, I never did rank as important as his work. Or his society friends. Or his golf.

To be honest, I don't matter to him at all.

"Good afternoon, Father. Yoongi said you wanted to speak with me." I'm proud of how calm I sound despite the turmoil brewing inside me after seeing the devastation on Yoongi's face.

"Ah, Jihoon," he says, studying me over his stylish reading glasses. I must pass some sort of test because he continues, "You look well, very healthy."

I'm unsure how to respond, but my skin starts to crawl as his eyes take me in. It might be the only compliment he's ever paid me, but it feels more like I'm being assessed as livestock.