The Message

-Selmak-

I tap at the helm controls of the Tel'tak, making minor adjustments. Jacob was watching even though he knows how to fly this ship almost as well as I can.

The Goa'uld, Zar, had control of the Feran System for the last several years. Intelligence indicated that he had pulled out without there being any attack. Jacob and I were sent to discover why, and to figure out what he was doing there. As far as we can tell there wasn't a chaapa'ai located there.

The computer beeps, and I realize I am getting a communication from the Tok'ra. I respond. "This is Selmak."

"Selmak, this is Ralin. I have a message for Jacob from the Tau'ri. It concerns his daughter."

I feel Jacob's stomach tighten, and immediately give him control. We both know whatever the message is, it's not good.

"This is Jacob." He sounds calm.

"Jacob, we received word from the Tau'ri that Samantha Carter is missing."

"Did they give any details?"

"She disappeared from Earth. They haven't found anything to indicate where she has been taken, and believe she is still on Earth. They don't know if her disappearance has anything to do with her involvement with the stargate. A civilian, Pete Shanahan, disappeared around the same time."

Jacob appears not to be effected if you were to watch him from the outside. However, here on the inside, it felt like his stomach twisted with each sentence.

"How long has she been missing?"

"Six weeks."

"Is there anything else?"

"No," Ralin responds.

Anything can happen in six weeks, Jacob thinks as disturbing thoughts run through his head. "Thank you."

"We'll inform you if the Tau'ri give anymore information." Ralin closes the channel.

I'm sure the Tok'ra won't mind if we go to Earth, and ask someone else finish this mission, I tell him.

She's been missing six weeks, and I just find out now?!

Given the current relationship with the Tau'ri and Tok'ra, it's not surprising that it took this long to be able to contact the Tok'ra. I leave out that he's lucky they were able to contact us at all.

Jacob turns the ship around as he wonders who this Pete is, and if he is the reason his daughter is missing. I'm going to contact the Tok'ra, and inform-

The computer beeps again, but this time it's a distress signal. Jacob opens it, and all we hear is static. He finds written words as well. Most are gone, but the first part looks familiar.

This first part looks almost Tok'ra, he thinks.

It does, now that he mentioned it, in fact... It is. We haven't used it in 193 years, but it's certainly Tok'ra.

An old message?

That doesn't make sense though. It's not possible to have Tok'ra who've been stranded here for so long. Also, the Tok'ra never send out a verbal distress signals.

Jacob gives me control, and I try to clear up the message. However, most of it is degraded, and I don't find anything else useful. It's coming from the Feran System. I don't think it's very old. We should investigate.

My daughter is missing.

I am aware of that, but she has people looking for her. Whoever sent this message has no one, and they may not have much time.

Most likely they are long gone, he thinks, but quietly consents.

I turn the ship back around, and open a channel. "This is Selmak of the Tok'ra, respond. How did you know the codes of the Tok'ra? I repeat, this is Selmak of the Tok'ra. Please, respond."

Jacob lectures on how this better not be a 193 year old message we are investigating.

I don't expect a response from whoever sent it right away. However, as a couple hours pass without a response, I begin to think that Jacob is most likely right.

To be continued...