One look

"We will now proceed removal. If you could focus now, please." The doctor shifted the wheelchair so that it faces his direction. The nurse pulled the curtains to dim the room and Day heard shuffling of foots as his family made space for the medical staff.

"I am going to remove the bandages. The room is darker, so you will not feel any pain from the light." The doctor informed him. "After we remove it, I want you to slowly open your eyes. Do not force your eyes to focus on anything. Let them do it for you. This is very important. Do not force them to focus. You might not see fully clearly yet, it will take couple of days for the eyes to fully adjust." Day nodded. "Do you know what to do?"

"Do not focus on my own," Day repeated the instructions

The doctor started to take the bandages off. Day was nervous. His hands firmly gripping the edge of his hospital PJ. When he fell nothing covering his eyes, he inhaled deeply. A squeeze on his shoulder reassured him he was not alone in the suddenly quiet space. He slowly opened his eye. Blurry image was swimming in front of him, but the longer he looked the clearer it became. It was hard not to focus on his own. The instinct to furrow and try to make out the shapes before him forcefully was very strong.  

"How do you see?"

Day blinked for a few times. "It is still blurred, doctor." He looked down on his hands, letting go of the fabric. What used to be just a blur of colors was now an actual image of his own body. He looked up and beamed when his eyes showed him a clearer vision of the doctor before him as well. He could make out his feature, his glasses and even the hospital logo on his medical gown. It was not fully clear, but he saw clearer than in the past year.

"Doctor...?" Day's mum could not wait any longer. 

"I can see, mum," Day turned to find her face. "Still bit blurry, but much better than before... I can see you, mum."

She hugged him tight in relief. 

Night exhaled the air he was holding the whole time. "You gave us a scare..." It would shatter him if the operation was not successful. The guilt in his heart would eat him alive. He bent to hug Day and mum at the same time.

"How well do you see compared to before?" the doctor interrupted their family moment in an attempt to continue with the consultation. 

"I do not see everything clearly, it is still misty. But much better than before."

"Do not force the eyes to focus yet. Let them do the work. Your vision might fluctuate in the next few hours or days. This is completely normal." The doctor nodded to the nurse who pulled the curtains open again.

"Thank you, doctor!"

Mhok was standing on the side, with tears strolling down his cheeks. Nothing in the world could describe how grateful he felt at the sight of Day, seeing his family after such a long time.

"Is Phi Mhok here?" Day realized he smelled his cologne in the room, yet he kept weirdly quiet the whole time.

Night laughed. "He is hiding in a corner."

"I am not hiding!" Mhok swiftly wiped his tears away and walked closer to Day who watched him, unblinking.

"P-Phi Mhok..."

"Hm, that is me." Mhok smiled. What he would give to hear Day's thoughts in that moment.

Day pulled at Mhok's hand, that familiar tangle of fingers. The eyes and the twinkle in them. The hair and how they fall down. The nose which was slightly pink now. The lips smiling down at him.... Day fell in love with Mhok again by that one look.

"I can see you, Phi."