XVII

☠︎

Much to their pleasure, the diner isn't a fancy one. Not that Ares would fit in a fine restaurant to begin with, but neither would the quartet of tired demigods.

All of them have the same clothes that they left camp with three days ago. And no, that wouldn't be that bad if they hadn't gone through a bus explosion, a blindfolded stone fight, a crazy game of tag with a goat-lion and her seriously overbearing mother that resulted in one son of the sea-god plummeting into a river from 630 feet, then followed with about a day of endless walking down an empty highway, Percy's existential crisis as their only form of entertainment. All in that same three days. 

The bell chimes annoyingly as the four kids walk into the half filled diner. There's surprisingly many people inside, taking into count the exterior of the place. 

Morana looks around, only seeming to spot families eating burgers and men in battered hunting clothing drinking beer. 

Then there's a booming laugh that makes them all jump and turn towards it. 

Sure enough, there the God of War is sitting in a booth with a dozen hamburgers and a big plate of fries in front of him. 

"Guess this is the right place", Percy mumbles, starting to lead their silent group towards the man.

He spots them when they round his table, all sliding on the other side of the booth, none wanting to take the seat next to the god. 

"Gimme a second, I'm just starting a fight on Twitter here", the man says as he glances up, Morana scoffing a bit, Percy rolling his eyes while Grover looks like he wants to chew the table to get rid of his nerves.

"Ah, okay, done", the man says after a few clicks of the phone keyboard is heard and it clatters on the table. 

"So. Your quest. . . is going to fail. Ask me how I know!" Ares seems a bit too exited, but then again, evidently there's a war looming in the horizon and figures he'd find joy in that. 

"It isn't going to fail", Percy puts in, clearly getting angrier by every passing second. That's the affect Ares has on most people. Even Morana has her fists clenched into balls in her lap. 

Ares laughs. "Sure it is. For starters", the man shows his phone that has an ugly man in an arm chair, talking to the person behind the camera filming him. 

"Who's that?" Grover asks, Percy glancing at him and saying, "My step-dad".

Sure Grover smelled Gabe on Percy since the very beginning and could tell that sent was part of the reason how Percy was able to stay hidden for so long, even as a big three child. But the goat-boy has never actually seen Gabe.