Chapter 2

In the hidden expanse of a cavern known only to Shadow, the group arrived, guided by the mysterious hedgehog. Tails skillfully landed the Toronto on a rocky outcrop, and they disembarked, approaching Shadow with a mix of curiosity and concern.

"Shadow, what's happening?" Tails questioned, his gaze fixed on the enigmatic figure.

Shadow sighed, locking eyes with Tails. "I'll explain later. For now, I need you to construct something."

Perplexed, Tails inquired, "Construct what exactly?"

"Create a device capable of extracting a portion of the Prism's energy and transferring it to Sonic," Shadow replied with urgency.

Tails, his expression marked by confusion, questioned, "Why?"

Shadow's gaze remained fixed on the ailing Sonic, the urgency evident in his response. "Because Sonic needs it, right now!"

Tails hesitated before responding, "I can try to make it, but..."

Interrupting, Shadow solemnly acknowledged, "You don't think you can make it on time."

Tails nodded, his concern deepening as he contemplated the gravity of Sonic's condition.

Amy approached Tails, inquiring, "What do you need to make it?"

Tails began explaining the necessary components to Amy and Knuckles. Meanwhile, Rouge approached Shadow, who held Sonic in a protective embrace. She quipped, "Didn't know you were a hugger."

Shadow glanced at her briefly before returning his gaze to Sonic. "He said the same thing..."

In the midst of this exchange, Tails jumped, exclaiming, "We had a plan!"

Shadow inquired, "What is it?"

Tails explained, "They're getting the things I need, and I'll stay here with you, Rouge, and Sonic." Knuckles and Amy nodded in agreement.

"Okay," Shadow responded, a sense of hope mingled with concern in his voice.

As Amy piloted the Toronto, and Knuckles gripped the wing, they departed on their mission. Tails turned to Shadow, asking, "Where is the Prism anyway?"

"Deeper in the cave," Shadow replied, leading them further into the cavern. The luminous colors of the Prism became visible, and Tails scrutinized it closely. Something caught his attention at the top of the Prism shards.

"Rouge!"

Rouge approached, questioning, "Yes?"

"Does the top look burned to you?"

Rouge inspected it and confirmed, "It does." Tails and Rouge exchanged concerned glances, prompting Shadow to look away. Rouge, with a gentle touch, asked, "Shadow, honey, what happened?"

Shadow sighed. "A lot."

Suddenly, they heard a noise, and it was Sonic slowly opening his eyes. He looked at Tails and muttered, "N... Nine?"

Confused, Tails questioned, "Who's Nine?"