Chapter 3: All of the King's Horses

My chest hurts when I wake up.. I'm in a soft and comfortable bed. Someone is holding my hand. I could feel her shaking body and her uneven breathing. My vision is blurry..my head feels foggy. Someone is caressing my hand gently, their soft touch comforting and warm.

I groaned, trying to speak and trying to open my eyes. "Shh, shh, it's alright, do not rush yourself." Mary.. she's here. "Your grace..what happened?" I asked, sitting up against the pillows more. "You fainted. I believe it had something to do with your heart. I called a doctor for you and luckily, I believe there's nothing serious going on." Mary answered, caressing my hand with her fingers, her touch smooth and warm.

I started shaking a bit... "It..it was a heart attack, wasn't it?" Mary looked down a little, frowning slightly as she nodded her head.
"It looks to be the case. The doctor said you are still very young so this shouldn't be a serious issue. Unfortunately, you will have to be careful. It's nothing to worry about, but at the same time, it's an issue that you will have to consider in your day-to-day life." She said, squeezing my hand and brushing my hair out of my face.

I felt horrible for everything my sister put the queen through. Especially, one as gentle and loving as her. "I'm so sorry I kissed you.. I'm so sorry for everything.." I said, my eyes filled with guilt. Mary chuckled softly and smiled, holding onto my hand tightly. Her touch was soothing andcomforting, her grip on my hand tight yet gentle. "There's no need to apologize, princess. As I said earlier: it was between the two of us. No one else needs to know about it and your sister is simply just being overprotective. Your heartbeat sped up due to an intense wave of emotions. That's all. You're perfectly fine."

My free hand, traced the bruises on my neck. I shuddered and covered my face with my free hand. Mary looked at my trembling hand and my expression. Her gentle expression turned slightly more concerned. "Are you alright?" She whispered. "That wasn't the first time my sister hurt me", I whispered, shaking. Mary tightened her grip on my hand slightly, a sad expression on her face. "Have you experienced more situations like this with your sister?" I nodded. "Yes..and worse..a lot worse..our parents don't do anything.." my voice is thick now, reliving all the abuse that Amber put me through. Mary was taken aback by the information and her eyes widened slightly. She had no idea that I went through such hardships at home. She looked down at me and her face was filled with sadness and empathy. "Do you have any more siblings? Is it just you and her?"

My eyes teared up "We used to have an older sister named Rihanna.. she vanished.. I don't know where she went..she said I was too young to follow her.. that I still had to grow up.." Mary frowned and tilted her head a little. She was curious about what actually happened to my older sister, but she didn't want to ask the question so soon after learning that my sister disappeared. She squeezed my hand gently. "And aside from your sister, you don't have any other siblings? Were you close with your elder sister?"

I nodded, "Yes.. I was close to her and then she vanished.. she wasn't happy at all.. she was when she was with me but.. she was also depressed.. she tried to hide it from me but I saw through it..I tried to tell Amber and our parents but they wouldn't listen".

Mary stayed silent for a few seconds, holding onto my hand a little tighter. She seemed deep in thought, contemplating the whole situation. The queen then sighed and spoke aloud, her voice becoming a little more solemn and sad. " You poor thing. You've experienced so much. I can't imagine not having my siblings with me and then having another one leave. That must've been very difficult."

I shuddered and covered my face as Mary climbed into bed with me. She held me tightly as I pressed my face against her chest, hugging her tightly and sobbing. Mary held my face against her chest and gently rubbed the back of my head in a soothing gesture. She then moved my dress down to look at my bruises and scars, I shivered at her warm touch on my skin. "Oh, darling, this is unbearable. Did they really not notice your scars? Or just didn't care? This is unbelievable.. " I nuzzeled her chest, loving her comforting and soothing warmth.

She held me tighter, her voice becoming firm and direct for the first time. "I can't believe this is happening. I just can't understand it. Do not worry, dear. I won't let it happen anymore. I'll take care of you and make sure you're safe. Do you understand? No one is going to hurt you." I nodded against her chest. "Thank you."

Mary's hand rubbed my hair gently as she kissed the top of my head softly. Her voice became more relaxed and soothing as she continued to hold you close. "No problem. Do not worry, darling. I will always be here for you. You will always be safe with me. Nothing and no one will ever hurt you again. I give you my word." I looked up and kissed her again, hugging her tightly.

Mary didn't immediately pull away this time, her lips pressed up against mine as she kissed me back slowly and lovingly. Her other hand slowly glided up and down my back, the heat of her body embracing me. It wasn't the same kiss as last time, it was more gentle and sweet than passionate and lustful. She wanted to comfort me and make me feel better, not make me feel worse. She felt my sadness and she wanted to do anything she could to take that sadness away. In that moment, she loved me more than anything.