Two

The ride to the Grill filled me with a strange mix of awkwardness and pride

The ride to the Grill filled me with a strange mix of awkwardness and pride. Pride, because my sister willingly beat me to the car keys and proceeded to make her way to the garage, sliding into the drivers seat of our shared SUV without a second thought. Awkwardness, because a stranger was in the vehicle with us, and the entire way I kept silent while they shared small talk.

All I wanted to do was gush at my sister for overcoming her fear, but I was wary of drawing attention to it in case it brought awareness to her previous unease. Plus, Stefan didn't need to be clued into my sister's struggle with driving these past few months. I watched her carefully out of the corner of my eye, and besides her grip being a tad tighter on the wheel, it didn't seem as if she was forcing herself to drive. It was like she just reflexively picked up her role of being the driver again.

I stole a quick glance back at Stefan, catching him grinning at some cringey joke my sister cracked about a teacher. It made me wonder if his presence had something to do with her returned confidence behind the wheel.

I finally felt relief when my sister parked the SUV in the lot behind the grill. Not waiting for them, I quickly opened the passenger door and raced to the entrance of the restaurant. With a quick skim of the place, I easily spotted Matt's messy mop of dirty blonde hair. And after closer inspection, I saw Bonnie seated next to him. Based on Matt's inquisitive and kicked-puppy expression, I could easily tell what the two were talking about. Or who, to be more specific.

I rushed over to the two before Matt could spot me and make a getaway like he did all day at school. And of course, I got stuck behind a table that decided to rise the moment I tried to pass, so before I could make it over there, he was already standing and walking away. To my surprise, however, it was directly towards Elena and Stefan, both having just walked in looking very much like a couple together.

I cringed at the exchanged introductions between the two guys. This is one reason I don't like dating in such a small town. I could only imagine it being ten times more awkward between those three than it was with me, Elena, and Stefan in the car.

With a sigh, I turned and spotted Caroline now sitting with Bonnie.

"Elena invited Mysteriously Hot Back Guy to the Grill with us," I informed the two somewhat grumpily, slumping into one of the seats at the table.

While Bonnie giggled, Caroline stared at me in complete confusion, having not heard me use the nickname yet. "Who?"

I tipped my head in the direction of said guy as Bonnie answered, "Stefan."

Caroline didn't bat an eye at the usage of the nickname for the new guy, instead eagerly glancing towards him, only to minutely frown at the two smiling at each other as they walked towards us, Matt now nowhere in sight. I groaned, understanding immediately how things were going to go.

Dammit, Caroline. Really? You just have to get with every new hot guy there is...

I was familiar with this scenario. A guys shows interest in Elena, and Caroline immediately sets her sights on him. It turns into this one-sided competition, but in the end, when Caroline doesn't win the guy, she ends up sulking, convinced Elena effortlessly gets everything without even trying, whether my sister even gives the guy the time of day or not. Caroline consistently puts herself in Elena's shadow and then vents about her behind her back. And Elena wonders why I'm not close friends with the blonde.