Four

My day kicked off in its usual chaotic fashion

My day kicked off in its usual chaotic fashion. Elena resorted to shoving me out of bed when I refused to wake up to the music of my alarm clock, Jeremy maintained his customary indifference to our morning greetings, and Jenna rushed off to class in a frantic whirlwind.

Matt, thankfully, decided not to play hooky today, although the threatening text I sent him this morning might have been a contributing factor. It was quite funny to see him by his locker, nervously awaiting my approach, fully aware that he couldn't evade me without breaking his promise. It probably didn't help I was cackling madly the entire time, receiving weird looks from Elena and Bonnie as I broke away from the two.

"So, you decided to show your face in my school after all, huh, Donovan?" I interrogated in a mock deep voice.

Matt swallowed. "I was kinda afraid of what would happen if I didn't."

"Suffice to say, the correct decision was made, and you'll be pleased to hear no punishment shall be dished out thanks to your wise choice in the matter," I replied, steepling my fingers for extra effect.

Matt let out an exaggerated sigh of relief.

It didn't take long for us both to crack, laughing loudly in the hallway.

I smiled at the jock. And then shoved him against his locker.

"Ow, Em!"

I scoffed. What a baby-it totally didn't hurt him. "That's what you get for leaving school yesterday. Before it even started."

Matt instantly looked apologetic. "I'm sorry, Em. I really didn't mean to take what you did for granted or anything..."

I waved my hand. "I'm not worried about that; I'm worried about you, dummy. You can't miss school and hope to keep your grades up and play football, Matt."

I caught the brief flash of surprise on his face before he looked down. "I just couldn't do it, Em."

My expression softened at the admission. "I understand, Mattie. Believe me, I do. And I'm sorry, I shouldn't have insisted you go to school after something like that happening, it was really insensitive of me..." I acknowledged, feeling a twinge of guilt at not realizing sooner. The first warning bell rang, and the students around us quickly scrambled to make it to class. "Look, lunch time I'll meet you outside, I can at least help catch you up on the notes for History and English. Don't want you getting behind when schools only just started."

Matt smiled sheepishly. "Thanks, Em."

"