Nine

I finally blinked after an undetermined amount of time staring at the red glowing numbers, slowly realizing I was awake and the time was 6:20 AM—forty minutes before my alarm clock goes off

I finally blinked after an undetermined amount of time staring at the red glowing numbers, slowly realizing I was awake and the time was 6:20 AM—forty minutes before my alarm clock goes off. Groaning, I rolled onto my stomach and buried my head under the pillows. To make matters worse, I still had an extra 20 minutes after my alarm before Elena actually forces me out of bed, acting as my final wake up call.

Even with the cool side of the pillow touching my skin, I couldn't get myself to fall back asleep for the remaining time. With a loud huff, I threw my blankets off and rolled out of bed, annoyed at the third day in a row I haven't slept very well.

The loud grumble in my stomach was enough for me to forgo getting dressed at the moment, opting for breakfast first. As I walked down the hall, Jeremy's door cracked open. I was unsurprised to see Vicki tiptoeing out of his room in nothing but one of my brother's t-shirts. She turned around and spotted me, instantly looking like a deer caught in the headlights.

Unfazed and without sparing her another glance, I spoke up with a yawn, "Making eggs and bacon if you're hungry," before descending the stairs and going into the kitchen.

While I cooked up said meal, Jenna joined me, bright and awake. "Good morning, Emery," she greeted cheerily, schooling her expression of shock at seeing me up. Seriously though, how are all the women in my family early birds but me? Mom was one too.

"'Morning. Breakfast?" I offered with another loud yawn, gesturing with the pan frying up over-easy eggs.

"I think I'll just stick to coffee, thank you."

I rolled my eyes. What's with everyone in this family and not eating?

By the time I sat down next to Jenna with my plateful of food, Elena entered the room, wide-awake and ready for the day. Her surprised look at seeing me up—without being pestered first—wasn't nearly as exaggerated as the first time. "Not that I'm not happy I don't have to force you out of bed or anything, but what has you up this early? This is the third time in a row you've gotten up before me, Em."

"I've been wondering the same thing," Jenna commented as well, looking away from the newspaper.

I shrugged. "Haven't been able to fall back asleep, I guess." I took a big bite of my toast, hoping they'd get the hint that I didn't want to talk about it. My sister briefly flashed me a concerned glance before changing the subject, addressing Jenna directly.

"Are you aware of what's going on upstairs?"

"Uh-huh," she confirmed, eyes instantly back on the paper after stealing a piece of my bacon. She refused to acknowledge my glare. This is why I offer to cook for others.

Elena didn't look satisfied at her response. "And you have no objection?"

Jenna relented with a sigh, absentmindedly gesturing with the bacon as she spoke. "I mean, he could be craftier about it, at least make an effort to sneak her in and out. Oh, and just so you know, I won't be home for dinner." The change in subject was so abrupt and obvious, but Elena's intrigue was enough for her to not care.