Chapter 3: Rules

A nice day. It's always a nice day around here. Well, at least until shit hits the fan. Which it does. Almost every fucking day.

Despite that it's a long walk, going to the bar by foot was probably the best decision. In fact, I don't know why I even bother with the car at this point. Whatever, it doesn't matter at this point.

A few people wave to me as I walk. I recognize all of them. I know pretty much everyone on a name basis, at least on this side of town anyway. I'd rather just stay away from them all. I do know a few of them personally though. They don't deserve to live in this hellhole.

This 'town' of ours has rules. Not hand written rules that you get from a person in a position of legal power, but rules as in magical rules or whatever the fuck you want to call it. Rule one is that anything that lives here for more than a month will be affected by the curse, but only with people. Pets and animals are fair game for death. Another thing to note about rule one is that anything done to your body will be your natural reset state after a week. So if you lose a leg and don't die for a whole week, get ready to say goodbye to that leg forever. Rule two is that certain illnesses can kill you off permanently, mostly just cancer. Rule three is that you eventually stop aging. I don't know why or how, but you just stop. There isn't a set age or a certain amount of time you have to be under the curse for this to happen, it just happens. Some people stop aging at 25 while others stop at 60. Rule four is that no matter how far you go, you'll always end back up in town if you die.

Everyone here understands these rules, well, everyone except Lucky, but he's a special case.

How long have I been walking? What street am I even on? Glancing at a sign reveals I'm on Gabby Avenue. Great. Almost at the bar. Almost slowly drinking myself to death.