it unravels

C A S S I A N

"How do I find out?" someone says from behind us and we all stop

I turn to find Stella standing in the hallway, her face now flushed, but eager. Damn it, she must have heard all of it. How could I be so distracted to not even sense her?

Did she conceal her presence too?

"Please tell me, I need to know who I am."

Another silence followed. The old couple looking at each other, probably linking each other over what they should tell her, how they should start. Me, because I was unable to say anything, I'm just as surprised as Stella is right now.

Although Stella tried to keep a brave front, I could see her hands fisted as she was shaking a little. Breaking a little more...

How convenient, all of this. Just when she started to have more confidence and strength for herself, she is hit with another wall that she will have to face. And I hate how I am unable to shield her from it all, it's as if life is meant to be harsh to her.

"Oh dear..." Dolly says as she walks towards Stella and held both of her hands, "you only need to look at the mirror to know how your mother looked. Well, you do have your father's hair."

"B-but how can I be sure?" Stella asks again.

Dolly turns to Benny once more, as if asking for an advice.

The old man, in turn, sighs. "There is one way. All of Lucidum's pack members are given the pack mark at infancy. Annaliese received it when she was around three years old so if you are her, you would have a mark..."

"She doesn't have a mark," I tell him immediately. I would know.

I could feel Stella sending me a glare but I avert my eyes away from her to escape the chastisement.

"Of course you wouldn't see it, only those from our pack can make it appear. You do remember that Lucidum is not a regular pack," Dolly says a little too dreamily. She seems to be on cloud nine as she is sure of herself that Stella and Annaliese are one. "Anna-- oh, Stella, I don't think we'll have the time to tell you all about our pack but know that our pack is a direct descendant of the first of our kind. That's why we hold a peculiar power that had to be hidden, the very power that became our demise and no doubt why they came for us."

Now she's talking. I've always been curious on what the big mystery was although I do feel as if I am intruding at the moment. After all, if Stella really is from Lucidum then she has all the right to know what their pack's ability was, but me?

I'll listen in.

"Which is?" I ask.

Again, Benny and Dolly looks at each other as if to ask the other permission and finally, they reach an agreement.