XXII - Lies and Consequences

When Tatiana awoke there was a dull pounding in her head. Her eyes were sticky when she tried to blink them open, but when she finally did, she found herself in unfamiliar surroundings.

She was in someone's house, on their couch, nestled in blankets. 

"Tatiana? Oh thank the gods you're awake!"

"Orm?" He was sitting beside her, bathed in sunlight streaming in through the windows - much too bright for her at the moment. 

"Yes, yes, I'm here. How are you feeling?"

"Remarkably well if I remember correctly."

"That'll be Atlantean medicine."

"Really?" Even now, in her hurt state, she was still excited by anything Atlantean. 

"Yes."

"Where are we?"

"My mother's home."

"Your mother?"

"Yes."

"Are we still in Amnesty Bay?"

"Yes. Tatiana, I am so sor-" 

"You're awake." The tall guy with the tattoos and the red haired woman entered the room. Orm could have punched is brother for his horrible timing.  "Good. Are you feeling okay?"

"Yeah... What happened?"

"That's what we're trying to figure out." The newcomers sat down too.  "Why would he attack you to get to me? I don't know you."

"You're not the Aquaman," she was quick to correct him. "He was after the Aquaman." 

"But I am. Hey, you're pretty shaken up, just take a moment. Breathe."

"But he was after the Aquaman." She looked at Orm, who said nothing. 

"Yeah, I fought him in the past."

She shook her head, trying to get this all straight.  "I'm sorry, who are you?"

"I'm Arthur, this is Mera. And it seems like you already know my brother."

Brother? "Wait, you're his brother?" She almost jumped back.  "Then you're the one who stole his throne and his betrothed and threw him out of Atlantis!" Now she pointed an accusing finger at him.

He and Mera exchanged a glance before both of their gazes fell on Orm. 

"Okay, that did happen, but totally the other way around.  I'm the half-breed bastard that everyone hated, and Little Brother wanted to get me out of the way of his throne and war." 

She absorbed this.  Then looked at Orm. "But you said-" Then it hit her.  That was what he had said, yes, what he had told her, but it didn't necessarily mean it was the truth. "Y-you lied to me..." The heavy truth was descending upon her. 

"I never meant to-" No, he had absolutely meant to. But that was before, in the beginning.

"You mean you used that sob story to make me take pity on you and help you..." 

Yeah, that sounded about right to how he had been thinking back then. 

"So he almost killed me because he thought you were your brother, because of a lie you told."

Yes, that was exactly what had happened. She was right. This was his fault and his alone. 

A little lie never hurt anyone, right? But it had hurt her, someone he hadn't cared one bit about in the beginning, but now cared deeply for. It had hurt her - he had hurt her.