XII. Connections

The Legend of Atlantis: A Reality Resurfacing

This was the title of her collection of papers so far. She had the title figured out at least, off to a good start.

Max phoned her back that evening, saying that her plan to check in in a few days was fine, and to let him know if anything came up.  Good, that would give her some time to interview Orm and figure out how he wanted to proceed - after all, she wasn't working alone on this, mostly, but not fully. She would have to tell Max about him sometime. 

As for Orm, he thought she did  sound homesick - when she bid him goodnight, he could hear the pain of it in her voice and it tugged painfully at his heartstrings. He felt a little bad brushing her off like he had. 

That homesickness faded a little the next day when she received a call. 

"Ana, you didn't call me and tell me about your date!"

"Oh Phoebs, I'm sorry, I completely forgot." A lot had happened since then.

"Must have only been alright then - not good enough to brag about but also not bad enough to want to gossip to someone."

Tatiana rolled her eyes at these specifics.  "It was fine, but I think we're just meant to be friends."

"Well, it's still early, so don't give up hope yet! Although I'm not so sure how I feel about you settling down with someone so far away, and so far from home!"

"We went on one date," she reminded her sister. Tatiana was a long way from 'settling down' with anyone anywhere, let alone here. 

It was easy for the sisters to get lost talking to each other, and pretty soon an hour had gone by. Tatiana said she had best return to her work - she wasn't on vacation, after all - and promised to call Phoebe soon.

When she hung up, smiling, but with a sinking feeling settling within her now that the conversation was over, she saw Orm standing in the doorway. 

"Oh, hello.  That was my sister. She lives back home in Greece." Then she realized he was staring at her phone.  "Oh - this is a cell phone, it's mostly used for long distance communication, and other things."

"Atlantis is very advanced in technology," he explained. "We have similar devices."

"Really? That's so interesting! I guess that makes sense, as ancient civilizations were often a lot more ahead of their time and modern than we give them credit for."

"You're sad," Orm observed.

"Hmm? Oh, no, not really..." She shrugged.  "I'm just homesick.  Talking to my family always brings those feelings up, and makes me reconsider my choices in coming here."

"Why?" He sat on the opposite end of the couch. 

"They just remind me that I'm not really in a secure place. My sister, Phoebe,  has as good stable job, a husband and child - she's got a secure life.  I'm constantly running around chasing myths and legends. Not exactly what many people would call a 'secure' lifestyle choice. My family certainly doesn't think so."

"But you don't mind it," he observed.

"No, not at all! I love it in fact. I don't feel insecure at all. They just get me thinking..."

"And you care about what they think?"

"Yes, they're my family, their opinions matter very much to me. I know they just want what's best for me and what will make me happy, but it can sometimes come across as judgmental on my life choices. They compare Phoebe and me a lot. They'd rather I was like her. She's happy and I'm happy for her. I just wish they could see that I'm happy and be happy for me, too. And sometimes, I even start to question what I'm doing..." Then her expression brightened.  "But, now, thanks to you, I have more of a lead on my research than I ever have before! So thank you!"

He nodded, thinking about what she had said about her family. "No one ever really focused on my happiness - at least not for a long time. Ever since losing my mother, my father ordered me around how he felt I should act and what he felt I should be doing, his idea of good and right, and I just never questioned it."

"I'm sorry, that sounds very limited."

"And my brother was the child my mother wanted, the child she had with the man she loved, while I was the child she had to have, there had to be an heir..." This sudden realization hit him right in the chest and he felt his whole heart sink.  "Then she was gone and I never really got the sense of if she loved me as much as him..." He was sure she did. Again, she had said, "You are both my children and I love you so much". Then she had gone on to tell him that he had been misguided by his father's ways.  He had felt so betrayed when she stood beside Arthur, taking his side.  Atlanna had never seemed like the type of person to have favourites, but now the thought had him wondering. Had he ever really known his mother at all? He had been so young when she had disappeared, and he had been led to believe she was dead. 

"I'm sure that's not true," Tatiana said gently. 

"I'm not sure.  I haven't known much love-" There, it happened again, the words out of his mouth before he could realize what he was saying, what he was disclosing to this mere surface dweller. However, such deep and powerful words came so naturally in front of her, as though he felt at ease here around her.

And he did, he realized. Despite barely knowing her, Tatiana brought with her a welcoming and open atmosphere, and she wasn't there to judge him, but to listen and observe and even help where she could.

"And you're following your heart, and you are happy, so I hope your family can realize that."

She smiled a little.  "Thanks, me too. And hey, if you ever want to talk about family, I'm here, just so you know."

Again, he was surprised by her forwardness, but he realized, maybe she just wanted someone there to talk to as well. 

 He appreciated her kindness towards him, he really did.  He just couldn't bring himself to say it - not yet anyways. So instead, he nodded and said, "Thank you."

(Aww Orm! He definitely deserves more love! :) 

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed as always! :))