VI - Orm's Sentence

"Not so fun, is it?"

Orm's eyes suddenly snapped open at the sound of Arthur's voice and instantly regretted it. His head swam, for lack of a better word. His ocean blue orbs were met by the bright lights of the great hall. He had always enjoyed this room, but now it seemed all too bright. It wasn't all that long ago that they had been in this situation, only their roles reversed, with Arthur chained up and Orm seated on the throne giving the orders. That, and Atlanna hadn't been present. Now she stared back at him worriedly - was that also a hint of disappointment in her stare?

Arthur spun the trident around in his hands. The great Trident of Atlan for goodness sake! Orm was waiting for the famed weapon and symbol of power to go crashing to the ground and create a ringing sound through the hall, and was relishing in the great embarrassment he imagined Arthur gaining for it. That's why you don't place such power in the hands of an ignorant fool.

Just the way Arthur treated such a special treasure so casually made Orm sick. And the way he lounged in the throne; how he wore no crown, a standard symbol for a king; how he wasn't wearing anything from the waist up; how he didn't pull his hair back - Orm didn't understand why the hair thing bothered him so much, it just did. Maybe it was years of pulling his own hair back out of fear of getting it caught on something and resulting in serious injury, or even death, and how Arthur didn't seem the least bit bothered by this. And despite having much longer hair than Orm, no such threat had come to him despite his carelessness. Orm was becoming more and more angry by the second.

And his current position didn't help.

Vulko sat on one side of Arthur, the traitor proudly serving him, and Mera sat on the other, his betrothed, also charmed by his brother. And even their own mother had taken Arthur's side. Why did everyone have to side with Arthur? What was it about him?

Arthur chuckled. "Don't worry, we won't be here long. That is, if you cooperate." The way he even addressed Orm was so, so - un-king-like. So casual! So against all that Orm had been taught, all the ways that had been drilled into his brain from a young age. His father would be turning in his grave at all this - and Orm was almost surprised to find himself a little pleased at the thought of Orvax doing so.

Almost.

Would Orvax have been as disgusted to see Arthur sitting on the throne? Most likely. In the place of Orm? Most likely. Would he have taken Orm's side? Most like-

Perhaps. Or he would go on and on about how Orm failed him and everything he had taught him, what he had spent his whole life training for, and how that was all now a waste. Orvax might say he got what he deserved for being weak and such a failure.

But best not to think of that now.

Especially not while he was a chained-up prisoner under the gaze of his brother and people he had at one time been close to.

"Well, I can see prison's not working out for you. I'm actually surprised you lasted those three weeks. Almost impressive," Arthur continued.

"So what's it going to be now, then?" Orm asked in a demanding tone that he associated with being king.

Now Arthur grinned. "Eager to know, huh? Well, drum-roll please-" He paused, for some dramatic effect. Orm thought it was silly. "-I sentence you to four months living amongst the humans."

Excuse me? Orm nearly laughed aloud. Surely this had to be some kind of cruel joke? But Arthur looked serious, the most serious and king-like Orm thought he had looked this whole time.

A deep feeling of dread began pooling in the pit of Orm's stomach, a nauseous feeling. "I would rather be sacrificed to the Trench," he practically spat.

"Oh I don't know, it was pretty creepy down there. Mom, Mera, you agree?" The women nodded. "Plus, I kinda command the whole sea now, so the Trench really isn't an issue anymore. No more sacrifices under my watch!"

"Are you trying to torture me?"

"Not intentionally, no. But we all think that exposure to the surface world would be beneficial for you. Might open your eyes, expand your horizons. Like how visiting Atlantis did for me."

Oh, good for you. So Arthur was suddenly pro-Atlantis now. Well that may very well have been because Arthur was from Atlantis, at least partially, whereas Orm had no connection or loyalty to the surface world, the only connection being that he had tried - and almost - destroyed it. He had almost been their destroyer.

"You can't be serious."

"Afraid I am." Though he didn't look very regretful.

Were they going to strip him of all his dignity? All his pride? To go live amongst the surface dwellers was worse than prison. Orm wrinkled his nose in disgust.

"I can see the judgement in your eyes, on your face, but try not to judge it too much based on first impressions. It might already be too late for that, but just try. Please."

"It would be unfair to judge a place you've never seen before," added Mera, who then shared a knowing smile with Arthur's proud one.

Orm rolled his eyes as the two lovingly stared at each other. Oh please. Ewww.

"So here are a few guidelines: generally, people are pretty nice. If you're nice to them, they'll usually be nice back. Sure, there's some assholes in the mix, but humans are usually pretty decent. They like to shake hands when they meet other people, a firm handshake, not a wimpy one-" Arthur broke off. Orm was staring blankly back at him. "Y-you do know what I'm talking about - right?"

Silence. Orm's expression was unchanged and pretty self-explanatory. That was answer enough.

Arthur sighed and rubbed a hand over his face. Maybe this was going to be harder than he thought.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"I can't believe how little he knows," Arthur exclaimed once Orm had been taken out of the hall.

"Orm was never interested in learning the ways of the surface world," explained Mera.  "He only wanted to destroy it all."

"He only learned what he needed to know, wanted to. Only that which would serve his cause," added Vulko. "Only what his father taught him. But he's intelligent, a quick study."

"Good, he'll need it."

"You're not going to just drop him up on the surface and leave him to fend for himself in an unfamiliar place?" questioned Atlanna with obvious concern.

"I kinda want to," Arthur said, mischievousness lacing his voice. "I kind of want to see Blondie try and figure out the surface-" He was cut off by a stern look from his mother. "Oh come on, doesn't anyone else want to see that?"

Mera and Vulko exchanged a glance before both raising a hand.

Atlanna gave an exasperated sigh. "Oh! I really wish you'd let him stay with Tom and I."

"Uh, no offence, Mom, but I'm really not sure if that's the best idea..." Arthur winced. "I don't want him around Dad, not yet, I don't think that would go down very well. I really think this is something he needs to do on his own." He could tell that his mother was still hesitant, but that she also believed this too.

She sighed. "Well, I guess I'll be there most of the time if he needs anything."

"Exactly, but if possible, Mom, I want him to do this on his own as much as possible. Please don't help him unless he asks for it, is in desperate need. And don't baby him."

"Well, he is my youngest son. I'll watch over him, but try to keep my distance."

Arthur grinned, spinning the trident in his hands. "Excellent! Then it's settled: Little Brother is going to the surface!"

(Poor Orm... But it'll be good for you, I promise! ;)

Orm and Tatiana might properly meet in the next chapter, and if not, then in the one after that! Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :))