IV - Date Night

As she was getting ready for her date with Max, Tatiana's cell phone rang.

"Hello Baby Sister, how are you?"

"Phoebe! How are you?" Tatiana replied excitedly, breaking into her native language.

"I'm well, and you?"

"Really well thanks!"

"How's America? Are you all settled in?"

"Not quite, but getting there. And it's good so far, everyone I've talked to so far has been really friendly."

"Good, good. Glad to hear it."

"Oh Phoebs, I wish I had more time to talk, but I'm afraid I'm going out soon."

"Going out?"

"Yes, for dinner."

"With someone?"

Tatiana rolled her eyes at the growing excitement in her sister's voice. Even from across the world she could tell Phoebe liked where this was going. "Yes, with someone."

"On a date?"

"Yeah, we're kind of calling it that."

Phoebe gave an unnecessary squeal, making Tatiana jump. "Oh Ana that's so wonderful! I'm so happy for you!"

"It's nothing big, don't get too excited. We work together, and I thought it would be nice to make some connections here."

"Do you like him?"

"Well, yeah. As a friend though."

"Well, I hope it all goes well! I'm so excited!"

The fact that her sister was more excited about her date than she was made her feel a little guilty. "Like I said, don't make a big deal about it, it may not go anywhere. I'm not even sure I'm ready for another relationship right now."

"Ana, not every man is going to - oh, Adrian, Adrian, guess what?! Tatiana has a date tonight!" Tatiana could hear her sister shouting to her husband. She sighed, knowing she shouldn't have said anything because her family would just blow it out of proportion.

"What I was saying was that not every man is going to be like your last boyfriend." The sisters had long ago resolved never to speak his name.

"Yeah, but not every man is going to be as perfect as Adrian."

"Yes, he is quite perfect."

Tatiana heard a wet kissing sound from the other end of the phone line, and made a face, holding the phone away from her ear and hearing her sister giggling.

It was no question that their family favoured Phoebe's career and life choices. It wasn't that they didn't support Tatiana, only that they were unsure about her building her life upon a supposed legend, and they made sure they made that clear. Phoebe was a successful business woman, very happily married, and had a young child. Tatiana was single and had moved across the world to chase a myth. She was always all over the place. Her parents had told her countless times that with such a rich history, Greece was the perfect place for an archaeologist to work, and didn't like her moving around so much all the time.

"But I hope that one relationship that ended badly didn't scare you off from dating completely."

"Not, 'scared me off', just made me more wary." Glancing at the clock, Tatiana saw that she would have to wrap up this conversation. "Phoebe, I have to go now, thank you for calling though it was really nice to talk to you! Say hello to everyone for me and send them my love!"