An Offer

With a sigh of utter failure, Annabeth handed the map over to Frank. They'd all been written in cursive, including the one she picked up. He gave her a smile and all of his friends glared at him.

Inej noted the exchange but didn't comment on it. She was quietly observing them instead.

Piper was taking in the streets around them, looking in every possible direction except for Jason's. The Wraith had already guessed at a history between them, and it seemed to have ended badly.

Leo was talking animatedly to Jesper, describing the mechanical genius of something called the Argo II. Inej didn't want to know.

It was Reyna, however, that really drew her attention. She was asking Wylan about Kerch's religious system. She seemed intrigued by Ghenzen, Djel, and the Saints, despite not asking about any others.

The girl carried herself like a leader, but seemed inclined to to follow Thalia's orders. The scene with the drunk man flashed across her mind. Inej hadn't expected such a violent reaction from either of them, but it helped her start to piece together the odd group.

Leo was telling Jesper about the Argo II after the sharpshooter had offhandedly mentioned flying ships. He hadn't meant to say anything, but the demigod sort of blurted it out. Jesper's reaction was awe after the initial suspicion. He wanted to know what it was like to be on a flying ship.

Hazel felt strangely at home here. There was a distinct lack of modern technology, and the clothes made a little more sense to her, as ridiculous as they seemed. There was also the factor of trade. She'd learned how important trade and wealth was here in Ketterdam. Being the daughter of Pluto, Hazel could, in theory, be as rich as she wanted. The praetor had no intention of using her gift so selfishly though. She'd seen what greed could do to people.

Percy's eyes were on the people in the streets. Their clothes were receiving too many looks. He turned backwards to look at Inej. "I think we might need something different to wear," he said. They'd opted not to change earlier, but now he was regretting that decision.

"The Slat isn't far from the Crow Club," she nodded. "We can find you something to wear there."

As they turned the street into the Barrel, the change was noticeable immediately. The streets were packed with people in the gaudiest outfits possible. The air was thicker and smokier. The excess of trash didn't help either.

"Oh, so not too different from New York," Percy shrugged.

Most of his friends laughed, drawing odd looks from the crooked cluster of crows. Inej remembered them say they were from New York when she had first met them. The girl silently wondered what it was like. They had been in her city for nearly 12 hours, but how long had they been away from theirs? Was there a time difference?

Matthias fell into step with Jesper. "I don't think we should take them to the club," he said.

The Zemini looked over. "Why not?"

"It's getting darker," he pointed out. "I thought we weren't trying to draw attention to ourselves. Showing up when things get busy sounds like a bad plan."

Jesper sighed; trust Matthias to be a voice of reason. "Fine, straight to the Slat, I guess."

Out of nowhere, Kaz spoke up. "Or, you could have waited at the merchling's estate." He had gone back to collect them and found the house empty. With directions from a maid, he brought Nico with him to find the others.

"Where the hell did you come from?" Jesper said.

"The harbor," Kaz deadpanned. "Let's head to the Slat."