Ch 3

"There are three things we cry about in life, things that are lost, things that are found, and things that are magnificent." - Doug Coupland

It didn't take long until he was crying from the pain. We couldn't get medicine, and he had a weak immune system. A few days later he started to hallucinate, I don't know what he saw but he was clearly afraid of it. And the next day after that, he begged Doctor Sato to just kill him. 

"Please, just kill me, you've done it many times," Omoide pleaded with a weak voice. "No, I don't have anything that would kill you," Doctor Sato left it at that, and didn't come down for 3 days after that. When he did, he didn't even come down with food, just a syringe with a clear liquid. 

"Is that for him, or for me?" I didn't want to be writhing in agony, I needed to take care of Omoide. 

"Him," Doctor Sato said, he opened the cell and walked in. It was one of the good days with Omoide, he wasn't crying because of the pain. He grabbed his arm and injected the liquid in him. 

"What is that?" I asked. I was too weak to fight back or argue. "I'm not drunk you know," he rolled his eyes. I gave him a look. "Anesthetic, it's anesthetic," he answered. He chuckled sadly at the face I made because he knew what I was thinking. 

"He had that the whole time," I sighed, breathing a little more heavily. "You had that the whole time?" While it sounded like a question, I was just confirming my rage. "I have a daughter who is very sick you know," yes I do know. 

She's the reason I'm here. 

The temptation to just strangle him was great, I even stood up, wanting to do it. 

"You can barely walk, you think you can hurt me?" He wasn't even amused, he just was stating a fact. When he got up to leave he gave me parting words. 

"He will be asleep for a while, he will wake up tomorrow." He was going to leave before remembering something. "If you're going to kill someone, use a knife, not your bare hands. You are too weak for that." 

And with that he handed me a scalpel saying, "you are weak and could never hurt me." He went back up with a satisfied smile. Omoide was asleep by this time and would not wake up until the next morning, just like Doctor Sato said. 

"Ketsue, is that you?" He was very weak, over the past few days it looked like he got thinner. "Yes it's me, are you ok?" It was a stupid question, of course he's not ok. 

"Nah," he chuckled, he started coughing all of a sudden. It was a very bad coughing fit and I held him up as he started to cough more violently. 

All of a sudden he started vomiting, it wasn't a lot but he had nothing in his stomach so it would hurt quite a bit. I went to pat his back when I saw the colour of the vomit, it was dark red. It was his blood. 

"What?" I became scared, "no, no, no", I got up. 

"Hey! Hey! Doctor Sato! Come down here!" I started screaming, "Get down here! Please! What is happening! Please!...please" I slowly sat down shaking. "Ketsue come here," Omoide's voice raspy, he was breathing heavily. I went over to him, still shaking. 

"Ketsue... I'm not going to make it," he sadly smiled. I started to panic, "No! You will make it, even if I have to drag you out of here." I got up, going to scream for Doctor Sato again, but Omoide grabbed my arm. 

"It's useless, he's not coming," he said. "No, he will come. He doesn't want his precious lab rats to die," the panic rose in me as he vomited blood again. "Stop it" Omoide firmly said, "I'm going to die." I tried to calm down but it wasn't working, everything was a blur and my head was going 150 miles per hour.