CHAPTER 2

x

"Do you really think that Prince Asto Al Nahyan would like someone like you?"

Olivia Jontas, my cousin, spoke quietly to ensure that I would be the only one who who could hear her.

I stiffened, confused at the sudden insult. "I don't know what you mean."

"No one else sees through you but don't think that I can't," Olivia's voice dipped into a nasty whisper. "Your poor attempts at seducing Prince are slutty."

"Olivia," I gritted out, trying to contain my rising anger. "Watch what you say. You wouldn't want people to realize that you're not the saint you pretend to be."

"Who would believe you?" She questioned with an innocent doe-eyed smile. "Everyone knows I'm the poor good girl and you're the rich girl who bullies me because I'm better than you."

"You've been second to me my whole life. Wake up and sort yourself," I said, coldly.

She laughed scornfully. "You're just a rich daddy's girl who ends up in the hospital because she can't stop drinking at parties. Oh, and you whore around the Asto Al Nahyan brothers because you want both of them wrapped around your finger-"

Before she could finish her sentence, I punched her. My fist connected hard enough for her teeth to catch between her lips, causing blood to flow out as dramatically as she was.

Before I could recover my composure, Olivia burst into loud, wailing tears. That was her greatest talent. Crying on command.

At the worst possible time, someone gasped behind us and I turned to see Olivia's grandmother, Amber Jontas, and all the other parents, including mine, staring at me. I swallowed and realized how the situation looked.

"Vesper. You need to control your savage daughter," the hag hissed. Mom protested but the damage was already done.

Olivia was the victim. I was the bully again.

She planned this.

"See?" Olivia Jontas flashed me a wicked smile only I could see. "All I have to do to turn everyone against you is cry."

x

I returned to Queens Erlington Academy two years after that night. I was back now with only one purpose.

To ensure that everyone who wronged me got what they deserved.

"We are delighted that you decided to transfer back to Queens Erlington Academy," the assistant Dean clamored with a bright grin, as if he hadn't given me detention every other week during the time I was still a student here two years ago. "Many things have changed since you left."

All it had taken for me to leave Queens Erlington Academy was one call to my worried parents. Given my tainted reputation, it was clear I needed the break.

For two years, that night stayed a secret.

For two years, I have schemed and plotted.

"The Cadre system is completely different. Before, it was based on an unspoken social hierarchy." I didn't miss the way he looked at me as he said that. Everyone knew about my parents and their time here. It was now basically integral to the academy's reputation. "Now, it is much more meritocratic."