CHAPTER 9

x

I woke up to everyone hovering over me in the hospital bed.

Every person stared at me except my mother, who lunged forward to hug me instantly. Then, everyone got over their initial shock. I tried not to feel overwhelmed by the reaction.

Cassian jolted awake as Dad stole the pillow from under his head to place it behind my back as I moved to a sitting position.

Dad kissed my head and promised that I would be okay.

Prince lifted his head from his hands and silently squeezed my hand.

Grandfather sighed in relief, looking like he almost had a heart attack.

Aunt Helen brushed my hair away as Lyla whispered that she was glad.

Uncle Cole assured me that he didn't calculate my mortality rate.

Aunt Blair apologized for her husband after tossing him a glare.

Aunt Kalina announced that she'd dedicate another fashion line for me.

Char burst into tears and sobbed, "I thought I'd lose my best friend."

But the only person I could stare at was Olivia, who hid behind her grandmother.

"Oh Alex," Mom looked like she hadn't slept in so long. "You're finally awake."

"I didn't... mean to make you worry," I tried to breathe as she embraced me even tighter, as if I would vanish.

"What happened, Alex?" Over my mom's shoulder, I stared into Olivia Jontas' eyes.

My cousin pursed her lips. A certain sort of fear shone in her eyes. "Alex... what do you remember?"

In that moment, I made a promise to myself.

Even if it took decades, I would remember what happened.

I would stay patient as I schemed and planned.

"I don't remember," I said, softly. Olivia's shoulders collapsed in relief. "I forgot everything."

"I'm sure you'll remember what happened, Alex," Mom said, quietly, with tears shining in her eyes before she looked at Olivia in an indecipherable way.

"The past is the past," Olivia forced a smile to me.

I smiled back sweetly, knowing that one day, everyone in this room would know exactly what happened to me because I would make sure of it.

x

I was surprised to know that the new Dean of Queens Erlington Academy was a woman. She was the very first woman to take up this position. I couldn't say I liked her, but I also couldn't say I disliked her.

The Dean appraised me with a faint sort of apprehension as I took a seat across from her. The look in her eye told me she had been waiting to meet me and wanted to see if I turned out the way she predicted.