CHAPTER 6

x

"Alex," a voice came muffled from outside my door. "There's something you should see."

Char quickly entered to where I was laying on my bed, submerged in thick covers and pillows. Instantly, I knew something was wrong because there was a troubled look all over her face.

Charlotte Jeong-Scott, my best friend, was never worried unless it was bad.

"Okay, so don't freak out," Char immediately said, which of course worried me instantly.

I shifted to a sitting position and asked, warily, "What's going on?"

"You might want to look at it," she said, handing me her phone as if it were contagious.

I glanced at the phone screen, bracing myself for the worst. After last night...

It was a paparazzi shot of last night. I had snuck out with Char despite my better judgement and got drunk out of our minds.

In the picture, I was standing on a bar, swaying in Louboutin heels with a bottle of whiskey in my hand. My white blouse was close to completely unbuttoned, displaying my red lace bra, while my dark mini denim skirt, strapped with a leather buckle belt, accentuated my taut waist.

"At least you look fucking hot," Char winced. I knew she felt guilty for dragging me out to a club because she was bored.

"There are so many things wrong with this picture," I managed to say after processing that this photo was plastered everywhere. I was usually very careful, but yesterday had been a bad day.

Char peered into the photo more closely. "You're right. I still think the red wine Valentino heels go better with the outfit."

"I'm going to be in so much trouble," I groaned.

As if on cue, angry knocks rattled my bedroom door. Char practically dove into my closet, which caused my eyebrows to raise.

Char had reacted too quickly for this to be natural instinct. I made a note to ask her later on how many times she hid in a  closet when she was seeing a guy.

"Alex,"  It was my brother and he didn't look happy. Cassian always acted like he was responsible for me like a father. "We gave you a chance."

"Cassian, I can explain-"

"This has gone on for too long, Alex."

I pursed my lips and looked away. "Fine. I'll go back to therapy."

Cassian's eyes softened. "Maybe you'll remember what happened to you..."

My throat tightened.  "You don't understand, Cassian. I don't want to remember."

x

The moment the limo's door shut with Gianna's departure, Lyla was the first to turn to my brother. She said, "Cassian, you didn't tell me your engagement was official."

My brother looked pained. "I know, Lyla. I didn't know how to tell you."

He tried very hard to avoid brushing against Lyla. That obviously hurt her because after Prince, Lyla was Cassian's best friend.