𝟎𝟎𝟏. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞

THE LIGHT OF MY LIFE
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

⋆𐙚₊˚⊹ chapter one, pre Gilmore Girls

December 11th, 1984

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

[ LUKE'S POV ]

I RECEIVED THE PHONE CALL AT EIGHT AM. ON THE ELEVENTH OF DECEMBER.

     I was sound asleep, trying to catch a couple more hours before I'd have to go and help my father out in the hardware store. It's a Sunday, a day of rest, and I desperately want to stay in bed but I know that I have to pick up this phone because it's rang three times in the last minute, indicating that something is going on.

I somewhat expect it to be my father demanding me to come down to the store but when as I move to answer the phone, I find that it isn't my father. It's a woman.

     "Is this Lucas Danes?"

     My full name is never used unless it's serious and I don't recognise the voice on the other end of the line. I'm slightly tempted to hang up the call but I can't go back to sleep without knowing what this call is about, especially when my full name has been used.

     I clear my throat, shifting uncomfortably to rest against the table. "Uh, speaking."

     "Hi, Mr Danes. We need you to ask you a few questions in regard to Violet Walker."

God, I hadn't heard that name in a long time. She and I had something of a relationship over a year ago. We were a disaster from the beginning, only dating for four months before calling it quits because I could not commit to save my life. I solely hated the idea of being in a relationship and I only wanted something casual and less serious. I wanted something with no strings.

Violet, on the other hand, wanted commitment. She wanted the flowers and the big love declarations that I just couldn't give her. Me and Violet haven't spoken since our breakup so why is this woman asking me about her? I never expected to hear from her or see her again which I didn't exactly mind.

     "Do you know Violet Walker?"

"Uh, yeah. Yeah, I do. Why?" I reply, my arm crossing over my chest as I rest the phone in between my shoulder and cheek.

"Well, I'm calling from Connecticut Children's Medical Center in Hartford in regards to your daughter—"

I don't hear anything else after the words, "your daughter" is said. For a second, I think I'm hallucinating because there is no way I heard her correctly. I don't have a daughter. It's not impossible, but me and Violet never— Well,we did, but we were— Okay I can't a daughter, not right now. There is no way I have a daughter.